Do I need to mash lager/pilsner malts?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
EoinMag

Re: Do I need to mash lager/pilsner malts?

Post by EoinMag » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:35 pm

The specs are in the professional brewers account section of the German website, I can ask on a German site I'm a member of for specs if you want.

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:46 pm

weyermanns spec pdf wrote:Analysendaten Die folgenden Werte sind erntebedingten Schwankungen unterworfen.
Die Analysenvorschriften sind im Band I der „Brautechnischen Analysenmethoden“
(MEBAK) im Abschnitt 4.1 beschrieben.
Parameter MIN MAX Einheit
Wassergehalt 5.0 % ----Water content
Extrakt wasserfrei 80,5 % -----Extract waterfree, I presume this is extract potential discounting water.
Würzefarbe 2,5 4,5 EBC ------Wort colour
Kochfarbe 4,0 5,5 EBC -----Boil colour
Protein (TS) 9.5 10,5 % ----protein
Eiweißlösungsgrad (Kolbach) 36,0 42,5 % -----Protein solubility percentage
VZ 45°C 35,0 41,0 % ---No idea.......
Verzuckerungszeit 15 min -----Conversion time/rest
Viskosität (ber. 8.6%) 1,58 m Pa s ---viscosity
Friabilimeterwert 84,0 % -----no idea.....
Ganzglasige 2,5 % ----no idea of context, but none of the unknowns suggest nitrogen to me.
Verpackung 25 kg Sack, 50 kg Sack, BigBag, lose

OK found it, it appears that the MEBAK system that they use to analyse the malt does not measure nitrogen content. Translations provided where necessary.

testtube
Hollow Legs

Post by testtube » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:02 pm

That's a head ache! Might be able to work from protein.. Another day! I recon if weyermann use a step mash then probably need's it, you wouldn't do that just for fun?

In the process according to the present invention usually all malts and resulting mashes, which have also been used in the hitherto applied filtration processes, can be used. However, unlike the currently used processes, the process according to the present invention also permits the use of malts which have a strongly reduced solubility compared to average malts. The term “malts with reduced solubility”, as used in accordance with the present invention, is meant to refer to malts which have the following values according to MEBAK: friabilimeter-value<80% by weight, glassy (ganzglasige) grains>3% by weight, flour/grist difference>2%, viscosityη>1.6 m Pa*sec and saccharification-value 145° C.<36.

Mean's something! Hell fire!
Last edited by testtube on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:22 pm

The Germans are very traditional and proud of their brewing, the reality is that homebrewers normally step it, but most German breweries do single step infusion just like for ales. It's a hangover from undermodified malt, but still considered alongside the dekoktion brew to be very much a part of the flavour of the beer style.

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:26 pm

Homebrewers have the luxury of following Reinheitsgebot and traditional methods that breweries have long since abandoned as the malt no longer needs it, hence the recipes are all stepped, for the homebrew market. What self respecting professional brewer would take a recipe off a website like that anyway?

testtube
Hollow Legs

Post by testtube » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:46 pm

Last edited by testtube on Fri May 19, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:03 pm

well the RHG has nothing to do with the main conversation I only mentioned it with regard to a set of german homebrewers who do everything very traditionally, just like the UK has that same set. RHG is actually pretty much a myth anyway and it's a law from the 80's or 90's that covers brewing. Some brewers however brew to the spirit of the original RHG which stated hops, malt and water as the only ingredients allowed in beer, this was later expanded to include yeast, but again it's not about the malt quality. I speak German fluently so were I inclined I'd most certainly "know" in a short while if I wanted to. For now, if I want to do a pils then I use Weyermanns, if I want to do an ale I'll use some English malt, but I'd never see a reason to use an English lager malt to try to brew any type of lager I'd like to drink, others who like the EU style I'd say might feel the same, horses for courses.

I'd never consider using a Weyermanns pale to do an English ale if I had a choice, that said the Germans are quite happy using it for that purpose.

testtube
Hollow Legs

Post by testtube » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:40 pm

So we don't know whether we should do step mash as we have no spec, but weyermann's do (just to give homebrewers something to do), but it's ok we don't need to as the nitrogen content is fine, but we don't know.. And then it might not be.. More nitrogen is fine.. better, all the industry is worried about the possible nitrogen content in UK malt, but it's just me being neurotic and daft.. Pilsner malt is better, because it has a better flavour for lager, that hasn't been quantified other than being eggy.. And Cain's make a adward winning lager form MO.. It really is nice..

Yeah I'm baffled!
Last edited by testtube on Fri May 19, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:49 pm

If it was necessary breweries would do it, most of them have stopped, make of that what you will, or won't more likely, but like whatever

Bribie

Post by Bribie » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:13 am

I only buy Pilsener type malts when the competition "season" is on, and I'm looking for the beer to be within specs, but the rest of the year I use Bairds Perle for lagers as it's such a versatile malt. Single infusion.

testtube
Hollow Legs

Post by testtube » Fri May 19, 2017 4:17 am

'
Last edited by testtube on Fri May 19, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnorwebthgimi

Post by gnorwebthgimi » Fri May 19, 2017 11:02 am

This thread is shakespearean, in comedy and tragedy and I have enjoyed it.

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Fri May 19, 2017 2:48 pm

gnorwebthgimi wrote:This thread is shakespearean, in comedy and tragedy and I have enjoyed it.
Thanks for that post, I wouldn't have read this thread otherwise and would have missed out.

I do like a wiki quote to substantiate an argument. Image

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Fri May 19, 2017 7:14 pm

zombies !

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri May 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Great Fun though! #-o
testtube wrote:'
test,
Why did you take `ffs` out of your post?
That was the best part of this thread! :D =D>

WA