Brewers caramel same as dark belgian candi syrup?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Wilbur

Brewers caramel same as dark belgian candi syrup?

Post by Wilbur » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:56 pm

We can't get brewers caramel here in the States, we can get dark belgian candi syrup do any of you know if these two products are similar?

iowalad
Under the Table

Post by iowalad » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:07 pm

If you are looking for a coloring agent you could try Sinamar. I think 4 ounces will set you back $4. Each ounce adds 4SRM to a standard 5 gal batch.

I have thought about buying it on occasion but I have not tried it.

I think it is available thru both Northern Brewer and Midwest Hombrewing Supplies. It seems like one of them had brewers caramel too but I haven't looked in awhile.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:33 pm

Brewers caramel is just a colouring agent and has no fermentables and I don't think much flavour, not the same as dark candi sugar anyway.

Wilbur

Post by Wilbur » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:58 pm

So brewers caramel doesn't really add any caramel flavor? I guess I don't need it then Thanks!

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:36 am

DaaB wrote:Certain types of Gravy browning are basically the same as brewers caramel, just check that they don't contain salt or any other ingredient other than caramel solution.
Many years ago I worked with a guy who drank Mackeson, knowing I brewed at home he challenged me to brew his favourite.

I brewed DL's recipe that calls for brewers caramel and I used gravy browning, my mate was impressed with the bottles I gave him until I told him what was in it :shock: :lol:

Good job Whitbread didn't say what was in their brew :lol:

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:58 am

Wilbur wrote:So brewers caramel doesn't really add any caramel flavor? I guess I don't need it then Thanks!
If it's a sweet caramel taste you want collect the first sweetest runnings from your mash. Boil it in a separate pot with gas. Reduce untill it looks like treacle then add back to your main batch

oblivious

Post by oblivious » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:11 am

SteveD posted this in another tread

It's added here for colour adjustment though it can add an astringent bitterness if used in larger ammounts. A lot of commercial brewers cheat by adding caramel to their standard bitters and then calling them 'Old Ale' Or 'Winter Ale'. The added colour and bitterness convinces the unwary that it's a stronger altogether different beer when it's not.