Another Brew Evening - 24/04/07

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Calum

Another Brew Evening - 24/04/07

Post by Calum » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:43 pm

I'm brewing tonight using the normal "evening brew" rules of engagement. Everything was cleaned, weighed out and filled (as appropriate) last night, my wife will turn on the HLT when she gets back from picking up the kids from school and I will get the early train and get the mash going as soon as I get in.

It is a momentus occasion as will be the first outing of my new boiling stove and brupaks ss boiler. So since the process has changed I will endeavour to take some photos and post them as I go (I know they are always appreciated).

I am going to brew a fairly standard brew based on the Donnington SBA except I have changed the grain schedule slightly and the hop schedule completely :oops:

More details later.

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:05 pm

Who needs a timer switch when you've got a wife, eh? And to think I wasted 3 quid on a timer #-o :lol:

I'd interested to see a recipe as well if you get the chance :wink:

Hope all goes well with your new equipment.

Calum

Post by Calum » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:11 pm

Who needs a timer switch when you've got a wife, eh? And to think I wasted 3 quid on a timer
:lol: :lol:

Mash is underway. All in at 66c at 4:45pm.

The recipe looks like this:

The reason for the tiny amount of black malt is that one of the brewers I know does it regularly and say it adds an extra dimension to the brew. Apparently the human tongue can taste 4 parts per million so it does change the taste profile. Also, I've never tried such a small quantity before so I thought I would try it.

Also, here is the new boiler and boiling ring:

I'm away for my tea (not only does she switch on the boiler) and then onto the sparge. 8)

tubby_shaw

Post by tubby_shaw » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:21 pm

Oooo shiny boiler 8)
I couldn't get your wife to give my wife some tips could I ?
My wifes idea of helping with a brew is drinking the product to "make room" for the next brew :roll:

Calum

Post by Calum » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:31 pm

First runoff is now complete. I am batch sparging so my first batch is underway atthe moment. After the runnoff from the first batch I will get the boiling stove going to get the wort heating while I wait for the second batch.

prolix

Post by prolix » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:50 pm

good work Calum I love the boiler, the shiney new one that is :D

Calum

Post by Calum » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:49 pm

Well I have had a great evening brewing. Weather was fantastic up here tonight so the kids were in the garden playing and I got to spread my time between the kitchen, garage and the garden.

What a difference the new boiler made. I was at a boil within 10 minutes of finishing me final batch sparge. With my single element electric boiler this could take up to an hour. In all I was finished before 9pm. The sanatised lid is on the bucket in the garage. The temperature is supposed to drop fairly low tonight so I will be able to pitch the yeast before I go to work tomorrow morning.

Here is my hot break. I was amazed how quickly it came to the boil. Especially after a couple of years with the electric system. It looks like a 8.8kw/hr gas ring eats up 5 gallon brews for breakfast!

Here is the "bloody good boil" going strong.

Some other picures from the garage

The beer corner and bottled beer shelves. Both of these plastic barrels preserve and dispense beer of great quality. I know that cornelius kege are the future (perhaps the present) but I am not even close to throwing these out just yet (however you will notice I am collecting conries aswell).
Image Image

This is the Hefe store (wife calls it the fridge in the garage - little does she know :evil: )

My hop. You can say all you like about global warming but if I can grow hops in Dunfermline then surely it must be a good thing !!!

Kids (Cameron 7 and Gemma 3 (last week)). Both demanded that I take their photos as I had the camera out. Don't worry, they were both bathed after the filming of this (especially the wee one).
ImageImage

Collection after boil.

It is the first time I have used the propane system and I obviously had an extremely vigorous boil going. I am left with quite less than I would usually be left with. I'll leave to cool and check gravity and dilute to specification tomorrow. Definately some experimentation with the settings on the boiling ring are required (don't know if this will cut it as an excuse to brew again next week).

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:58 pm

Love the pictures! I would love a shiny boiler but I dont think I could lift 10 gallons worth in one so I'd have to get a pump as well.

Your hops are doing better than mine, my Fuggles are only about a foot and a half high :cry:

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:07 pm

Nice post Calum 8)

Calum

Post by Calum » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:50 pm

I would love a shiny boiler but I dont think I could lift 10 gallons worth in one so I'd have to get a pump as well.
At the moment I am still on 5 a gallon brew length so its not too pressing. The upgrade is an iterative process but I think you are right, a pump will be required fairly soon. And a new mash tun, and a chiller, and a 10gallon fermentor. Oh my god where does it all end !!! :roll:
That big bottle of milk in the fridge is a little excessive isn't it
You are of course right. It is a fridge, in the the garage. Milk should be out of bounds! :)

jaytee1

Post by jaytee1 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:15 am

TOP KIT,

love the shiny boiler, hmmmm shiny stuff ican feel the wallet twitch already!!!

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:36 am

Calum wrote:Oh my god where does it all end !!! :roll:
It doesn't :lol:

Nice work Calum, and great pics.

iowalad
Under the Table

Post by iowalad » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:29 am

Thanks for the pics.

Calum

Post by Calum » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:40 am

I ended up with about 17litres @ 1062. So after diluting I have 22.75 litres at my target of 1046. 8)