cleaning boiler elements

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
pip.

cleaning boiler elements

Post by pip. » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:27 pm

hi does anyone have any tricks or tips on how to clean kettle boiler elements without scrubbing them ie put something in to make it go away and leave it gleaming

many thanks

Andy Dean

cleaning boiler elements

Post by Andy Dean » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Distilled white vinegar and a sponge ;)

crookedeyeboy

Re: cleaning boiler elements

Post by crookedeyeboy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:38 pm

Anything acidic

dave-o

Post by dave-o » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Aye, as above, vinegar works a treat. The cheapo stuff is fine. Just soak it overnight and then scrub.

PureGuiness

Post by PureGuiness » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:36 pm

I find that if I clean immediately after emptying the boiler they don't need much scrubbing to get them shiney. Just a washing up sponge does the trick.

I am treating the water before hand though so maybe that makes a difference?

worts n ale

Post by worts n ale » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:13 pm

just fill the boiler enough to cover the element and add a couple of spoons of citric acid to the water switch on the element by the time the water has boiled it will be clean.

Patterd Ale
Hollow Legs

Post by Patterd Ale » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Caustic for me, drops the muck right off. A bit extreme perhaps but quick and easy.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:40 pm

Recently I've been cleaning out the kettle as soon as the wort is in the FV, giving it a quick rinse then fill to cover the element with hot water collected from my IC made into
weak solution of an alkaline, chlorine based detergent, about 5g/l. I've done this mainly to clean the silicon lines, pump, valves etc of crud. once that's drained I circulate with
fresh water to rinse.

I've noticed that I no longer have to do any cleaning of the element, no citric, no scrubbing at all. You can see the tide mark from the cleaner in this pic from a brew I did
earlier in the week.

Patterd Ale
Hollow Legs

Post by Patterd Ale » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:37 pm

What a shiny protrusion you have, I like it. Any more pics of your shiny?

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:46 pm

Sh!t, didnt realise you could get a boiler that clean =D>

Andy Dean

cleaning boiler elements

Post by Andy Dean » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Here's a before and after a quick rub with distilled white vinegar from a post on another thread...

viewtopic.php?t=19901#p228729

No scrubbing or boiling required and costs about 50p a litre in the supermarket ;)

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Andy Dean wrote:Here's a before and after a quick rub with distilled white vinegar from a post on another thread...

viewtopic.php?t=19901#p228729

No scrubbing or boiling required and costs about 50p a litre in the supermarket ;)
Yep I used to do that and just circulate the IC water to clean the pump etc. I was expecting to have to continue with the citric, vinegar
routine after I started with the chlorine clean as acid was the recommendation for elements but it seems to work a treat.
Patterd Ale wrote:What a shiny protrusion you have, I like it. Any more pics of your shiny?
I dug this out from a few years ago, changed some small details since then.

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:33 pm

oh god I feel sick with envy
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

Pauliet

Post by Pauliet » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:35 pm

worts n ale wrote:just fill the boiler enough to cover the element and add a couple of spoons of citric acid to the water switch on the element by the time the water has boiled it will be clean.
Same for me, bought a small tub of citric acid from Wilkos, added to water (about 2" over the elements) and brought to the boil. left to boil for a couple of minutes and hey presto,perfectly clean elements :-)

masterosouffle

cleaning boiler elements

Post by masterosouffle » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:59 pm

Citric here also, get mine from the local chemist