"MINCH" Malt from Ireland

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
BarnsleyBrewer
Under the Table

"MINCH" Malt from Ireland

Post by BarnsleyBrewer » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:01 am

Just had an email from "The Homebrew Company" barking on about this new malt from Ireland and just wondering if anyone has tried it before?
>>>CLICKY<<<

IRISH PALE ALE MALT (CRUSHED) 25KG 3.6 EBC (MINCH)

Model:
Price: £23.95
Sale: £21.56
Save: 10% off

Date Added: Thursday 05 March, 2015
"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2021......... 104
Pints brewed in 2018.. 416
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416 - Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624 - Pints brewed in 2014.. 832

barry44

Re: "MINCH" Malt from Ireland

Post by barry44 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:48 pm

Subscribed.

I had same email.

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:24 pm

They are the main suppliers to Diageo with MCI in Cork the follow up. Not sure how they are rated but did hear that the MCI stout malt was infact more efficient than the Minch malt for making Guinness. This efficiency is not to be mixed up with the word better :| When industrial grade brewery's sound off about efficiency its the accountant talking and not the brewer :wink:
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:29 pm

If its on sale, then why? Short shelf life maybe? Or they can't shift it.

I agree with JL, might be cheaper but not better.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

beerlover1983

Post by beerlover1983 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:50 pm

i was after some mci stout malt after the american homebrewers saying how good and eff it was.It was featured on one of the shows.

I wanted to do a group buy but no one was intrested mci now sell direct but after shipping its near £50 for 25kg

Bugno
Tippler

Post by Bugno » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:04 pm

Hi, Shane here from The Homebrew Company. We got this malt delivered today. It is the first ever pallet of bagged malt from Minch Malting in Athy. We are the first to have this bagged malt ahead of even the micros. We are very privilaged indeed. The grain I can assure you is as fresh as it gets. It is from the 2014 harvest. It is on special as we want to get people to try it for themselves, so we have run a special on the first few pallets to see what you think. Hope it is OK to post on here. Thanks, Shane.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:21 pm

Well, I've been hooked by Minch malt from Ireland. I don't need to replenish my stocks for a month or so, but £14.77 for a sack and £6.62 delivery (Paypal exchange rate) proved irresistible.

I bought in Euros and used Paypal as selecting Pounds Sterling on the site seemed to give higher prices. I don't really understand how internet shop software works so maybe I didn't need to do that?
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:47 am

There's also loughram family malt at 80p a kilo from get er brewed. Just watch out for the marris otter that's a half n half mix I think....

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:51 am

There's also loughram family malt at 80p a kilo from get er brewed. Just watch out for the marris otter that's a half n half mix I think....(get er brewed

vacant

Post by vacant » Sun May 24, 2015 2:25 pm

I've just finished a brew with this malt.
  • 7200g minch
  • 200g crystal
  • 60g Carafa Special 3
About 82% efficiency into the FVs (41.8 litres @ 1.046, didn't bother squeezing the hops out). It seemed very finely crushed when I measured it out. The mash stuck a bit, but that was my fault. For that brew length a 33 litre mash tun can't do a conventional two stage batch sparge so I drained first and with wort at 65C it stopped half way through the drain. It all went fine after that, plenty of space to top up with 85C and get an easy flow going.

A thumbs up at the pre-gob-hole stage.
Last edited by vacant on Mon May 25, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Post by Redimpz » Mon May 25, 2015 2:36 pm

I bought a sack of Minch Malt about 2 months ago and I have made 4 brews using it. I have usually used Bairds Malt in the past. The Minch does appear to be milled finer and I have had an issue with "doughballs" in the mash, but nothing that cannot be sorted by stirring and squashing them against the side of the tun. Must mention that I use the BIAB method. Overall efficiency is fine and I may even be getting a few more points on the hydrometer than I got with the Bairds.
Delivery from the homebrew company was no problem, they have a set postage rate so it is best to make full use of that, though some of their prices are easily beaten by other suppliers.
Not a bad Malt as long as you keep an eye on them doughballs.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Mon May 25, 2015 8:10 pm

john luc wrote:They are the main suppliers to Diageo with MCI in Cork the follow up. Not sure how they are rated but did hear that the MCI stout malt was infact more efficient than the Minch malt for making Guinness. This efficiency is not to be mixed up with the word better :| When industrial grade brewery's sound off about efficiency its the accountant talking and not the brewer :wink:
scuppeteer wrote:If its on sale, then why? Short shelf life maybe? Or they can't shift it.

I agree with JL, might be cheaper but not better.
Not to be a word nazi, but technically, john luc said MCI is the more efficient one, and thus Minch might be better for homebrewer requirements.

Minch isn't yet available on our side of the pond yet, but I'd certainly give it a try. I wasn't terribly impressed with the MCI Stout Malt. It certainly could've been my own doing, but the sack I got produced a very poor mash efficiency, the opposite of what was advertised.

gs650gtd
Sober

Post by gs650gtd » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Hi folks,new to the forum and have been googling Hook Head series Pale Ale Malt and have come across this post.I'm from Derry and was holidaying in Kildare and picked up 25kg this malt from the home brew company in Mount mellick.Only got back into brewing a month ago after 20 years and had success with converting a 5 litre stove top kit from geterbrewed single hop Ella series to 20 litre with a few adjuncts.I currently have SMaSH of 22 litres fermenting after using 4 kg of this malt and hopped using 25g of East Kent Golding's and 10g of edible seaweed picked fresh from the beach,washed,sundried and blended instead of finings.I'm doing all this on the fly for experimental purposes but if any is interested I can let them know my findings when it's bottled.Cheers.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

gs650gtd
Sober

Post by gs650gtd » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:59 pm

ABC was slightly high at 6.5,clear though very pale.Good head retention,carbonation and sweet like honey but well impressed overall.

Sent from my ALE-L21

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:09 pm

gs650gtd wrote:ABC was slightly high at 6.5,clear though very pale.Good head retention,carbonation and sweet like honey but well impressed overall.

Sent from my ALE-L21
Sounds like it's worked out well for you.

Love the idea of freshly harvested seaweed as copper finings!

What does ABC at 6.5 mean, please?

Guy