Mash night before boil

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Scott-westy
Piss Artist

Mash night before boil

Post by Scott-westy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:51 am

Do you think there is a problem with mashing Friday night, sticking the hot wort in a cube overnight then boiling in the morning? Or is it just easier to overnight mash. BIAB by the way.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

bobsbeer

Re: Mash night before boil

Post by bobsbeer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:37 am

No reason why you couldn't pop in a cube overnight. Nothing is going to happen to it, and your not worried about infection at that stage.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:01 am

the reason for leaving it in the mashtun is really to keep the heat insulated in above the kind of temperatures that might suit bacteria. while you're not leaving it too long, and may easily get away with it, bacteria will be present and can negatively influence the taste of the wort before the boil. cubing it'll be fine if you runoff into a boiler first and raise to pasteurisation temps or a short boil. i guess the reason most don't do that is the expense of time/energy.
dazzled, doused in gin..

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:06 am

Keep in mind that a long mash will favour a lower FG.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:26 am

Don't put it in a cube overnight.

The reason people use 'no chill' cubes is to put in boiling wort so everything will be heat sterilised.

Your mash wort is not going to be hot enough to sterilise a cube, and it will quite possibly be crawling with lacto and other bacteria. The cube will rapidly cool into the temperature range where bacteria thrive (30-50c) and then they have everything they need to grow rapidly.

If you want to break it over night then mash in at night, and then wrap up your mash tun as well as you can to minimise heat loss. It also helps to do as full a mash volume as you can to increase thermal mass.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:25 am

I always do overnight mashes and haven't had any issues with it. Wrap her up and crack on the next morning.

I was all cleaned up by 11:30am on my last brew day.

adeybambam

Post by adeybambam » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:54 am

I would just sparge into the boiler and leave it overnight. You'll be boiling it for 60/90 minutes the day after so any nasties will be killed.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:01 pm

adeybambam wrote:I would just sparge into the boiler and leave it overnight. You'll be boiling it for 60/90 minutes the day after so any nasties will be killed.
you're missing the point, boiling it the day after may be too late as you'll have given the bacteria time to negatively affect the flavour, even if you subsequently kill it by boiling, you may still have a sour (or much worse) taste to the ale. think sourwort techniques where this is intentional..
dazzled, doused in gin..

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:44 pm

Do you like Berlinerweisse. If so what you're proposing is desirable. If not then listen to the above.

Mr. Dripping

Post by Mr. Dripping » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:33 pm

UpTheToon wrote:I always do overnight mashes and haven't had any issues with it. Wrap her up and crack on the next morning.

Do you measure your FG's and if so how do they usually come out??
I used to do overnight mashes, but I found that the wort attenuated 2-4 points lower than with a 60-90 minute mash. For some beers this can be desirable, but in a typical bitter/pale ale I often found they were pretty thin as a result.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:21 pm

I always overnight mash now. I don't believe my FGs are any lower than before. I also find that I can control the FG by changing the starting mash temperature so I don't think the very long mash is detrimental.

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:38 am

Mr. Dripping wrote:
UpTheToon wrote:I always do overnight mashes and haven't had any issues with it. Wrap her up and crack on the next morning.

Do you measure your FG's and if so how do they usually come out??
I used to do overnight mashes, but I found that the wort attenuated 2-4 points lower than with a 60-90 minute mash. For some beers this can be desirable, but in a typical bitter/pale ale I often found they were pretty thin as a result.
Yeah, usually it's pretty bang on the beersmith estimate. Haven't noticed any that are much lower.

jonnymorris
Tippler

Post by jonnymorris » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:30 am

UpTheToon wrote:Yeah, usually it's pretty bang on the beersmith estimate. Haven't noticed any that are much lower.
Me too. I've done 20+ overnighters and not noticed any difference in FG.

As others have said, leave it in the tun.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:39 am

i think it comes down to how well you can insulate the tun. others probably have better systems than mine, which would drop up to 10C overnight and the FGs were at least four points under expectations. you can of course mash in at a higher temperature to control your FG from being too low, but then that isn't directly comparable to a regular single infusion 90 minute mash..
dazzled, doused in gin..

critch

Post by critch » Thu May 05, 2016 7:53 am

jaro and jocky are right in what theyre saying the science behind their statements is spot on

leaving overnight is a risk,
off flavours(biggest contaminant in a commercial brewery is grain, if your letting your mash liquor sit in a cube overnight your just creating a giant liquid petri dish....), too much tannin and thinness on the palate are all to be expected when you do this, but if it works for you, hey what the hell. theres a thousand ways to brew, everyone does it their own way...

r.d.w.h.a.h.b. :D