Mash lengths

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Mash lengths

Post by WalesAles » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:57 pm

rpt wrote:When people say they are mashing for 45 minutes I assume that is followed by a sparge. How long does that take? As I BIAB I do at least 90 minutes but there is no sparge or mash out.
rpt,
Why don`t you sparge?

WA

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:44 am

WalesAles wrote:
rpt wrote:When people say they are mashing for 45 minutes I assume that is followed by a sparge. How long does that take? As I BIAB I do at least 90 minutes but there is no sparge or mash out.
rpt,
Why don`t you sparge?

WA
He goes all in. :D
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:36 am

I mash using the biab method for 60mins doing a 'no sparge'.

As i am currently doing small 5l batches i might do a bit of experimenting with mash lenghts

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Anyone got another link to the article on page 1 of this thread? It just comes up with account suspended

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:46 pm

If you mean the Brulosophy article, then it opens OK for me.

Here's the full link. It looks like it's the same as the link on page one, but worth another try.

Good luck.

http://brulosophy.com/2014/09/01/does-m ... t-results/

Guy

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:09 pm

^ seems to be working now, cheers

Capped
Under the Table

Post by Capped » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:34 pm

Well I've just done a 45min mash instead of the usual 60mins one, and all seems ticketty-boo regarding extraction, wort clarity etc....

spanspoon

Post by spanspoon » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:20 pm

i mash for 60 mins, i used to do 90 until i stuck my head in winkle brewery and was talking about homebrew to them. i said i did a 90 min mash, they asked why, i couldn't answer them! they said they mash and boil for 60 mins.
60 mins it is then!

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:00 pm

Ummm, this 45 minute mash sounds interesting, anything that makes brewing more family friendly is worth a try! like many here I started with 90/90 mins then went to 60/60 with the occasional overnight, as above the overnight mash produced a good beer but definitely, everso slightly thinner.

Anyone go with a 45 minute boil too? I guess it might work with beers not too highly hopped.

Cheers,
Jamie

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:23 pm

JabbA wrote:Ummm, this 45 minute mash sounds interesting, anything that makes brewing more family friendly is worth a try! like many here I started with 90/90 mins then went to 60/60 with the occasional overnight, as above the overnight mash produced a good beer but definitely, everso slightly thinner.

Anyone go with a 45 minute boil too? I guess it might work with beers not too highly hopped.

Cheers,
Jamie
I do and for highly hopped beers I up the amount of hops.
I'm just here for the beer.

Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Post by Redimpz » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:07 pm

Thanks for all the replies, it looks like I shall have to give the 60 min method a whirl and see how it goes. It may well mean that I could get a brew knocked up before going to work. I have recently invested in a "no chill" cube but so far have not tried the results but it did knock about an hour off the brewday.

BlackRocksBrewery

Post by BlackRocksBrewery » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:41 pm

I like to brew with the least impact on my family life so mashing in the evening and brewing early the next morning is the most efficient use of my time. This does seem to produce a very efficient extract but as far as taste is concerned I cannot argue that this is any better than a 90 minute mash. One thing to be aware of with overnight mashing is that a slight "cotton wool" mould can develop on the surface of he mash during warm weather. But I have never noticed any off flavours associated with the occasional growths.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:20 pm

I've started to think about this aspect more recently.

If I'm mashing a high wheat or other adjunct beer or a high gravity beer then the mash is 2 hours, but for most purposes its 60 minutes.

I made a saison last weekend and as I had to do other things I let it go for nearly 3 hours. Between that and the specific yeast it's currently at 1.002 from 1.058. Might be a bit too dry, although once highly carbed it will be a very refreshing summer beer.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:25 pm

That seems reasonable; IMO there is a correlation between increasing mash length and increased fermentability/attenuation (though certainly not a linear one).

With high diastatic power and good conditions, starch conversion and extraction can get most of the way there pretty quickly. But the type of sugars produced are dependent on time as well as temperature.
Kev

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Sat May 06, 2017 11:11 am

The reason behind a 60minute boil is that this is how long it takes to sterilise the wort - especially by killing spores of anaerobes such as bacillus bacteria and moulds, common around soil. So I would't cut that :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk