Brew fridge v conditioning fridge.

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:45 pm

Not sure whether I should prioritise it for conditioning beers or for fermentation for ales.

Just brewing ales at the moment so room temperature about right, I have an inkbird connected to a head pad to keep it warm at nights. Was Planning to use new fridge as a brew fridge just to be more precise on fv temperatures.

However am I bettter using it to condition ales at 12c for 4. To 6 weeks, rather than conditioning at room temps? Ideally I would have two fridges but in the meantime what am I best prioritising. Obviously fermentation is most important but are my conditions ok for that anyway and would I see a good improvement with conditioning ales at cellar temps?

Any feedback most appreciated!

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Re: Brew fridge v conditioning fridge.

Post by Dave S » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:16 pm

Onthebrew wrote:Not sure whether I should prioritise it for conditioning beers or for fermentation for ales.

Just brewing ales at the moment so room temperature about right, I have an inkbird connected to a head pad to keep it warm at nights. Was Planning to use new fridge as a brew fridge just to be more precise on fv temperatures.

However am I bettter using it to condition ales at 12c for 4. To 6 weeks, rather than conditioning at room temps? Ideally I would have two fridges but in the meantime what am I best prioritising. Obviously fermentation is most important but are my conditions ok for that anyway and would I see a good improvement with conditioning ales at cellar temps?

Any feedback most appreciated!
You'd only see an improvement if your beer has fermented well in the first place. I am in the same position of having only one fridge, but I wouldn't sacrifice fermentation control for conditioning. At this time of the year you could move your bottles/kegs outside once they have conditioned for a couple of weeks at room temperature.
Best wishes

Dave

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:37 pm

I too would prioritise fermentation temperature. Although 'if' your ambient conditions are cool enough that you genuinely don't need cooling to keep the fermentation temperature stable then there would be no need for the fridge to achieve that, and so no conflict of interests.

Be a little careful if the heat pad is of the type the fermenter sits on. I've often said that autolysis isn't something to become paranoid about, but warming the settled yeast can greatly increase the effects - so IMO best not to let the beer sit on a warm yeast cake for too long after fermentation ends.
Kev

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:32 pm

Kev888 wrote:I too would prioritise fermentation temperature. Although 'if' your ambient conditions are cool enough that you genuinely don't need cooling to keep the fermentation temperature stable then there would be no need for the fridge to achieve that, and so no conflict of interests.

Be a little careful if the heat pad is of the type the fermenter sits on. I've often said that autolysis isn't something to become paranoid about, but warming the settled yeast can greatly increase the effects - so IMO best not to let the beer sit on a warm yeast cake for too long after fermentation ends.
Totally agree, heater mats are the brewer's enemy. I use a brew belt positioned half way up the fermenter. I might have gone for a tube heater but I already had the belt in. It works fine.
Best wishes

Dave

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:16 pm

Ok cheers lads, think I am going to prioritise brew fridge, especially as our heating can be temoerental. There is room for beers too but it means they will condition at fermation temps as opposed to cellar temps. Worried about sticking them outside in case of a frost or unexpected cold night.

j444fog
Steady Drinker

Post by j444fog » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:50 pm

I'd go for a fermentation fridge as a priority personally, and then save up the pennies for a second fridge for conditioning / force carbing etc

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:07 pm

Conditioning initially at fermentation temp is fine to get the beer to carbonate. After that you can keep the beer almost anywhere cool and condition will come in over time.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:21 pm

I'm confused about this thread. I have kegged beer currently conditioning at 3-4*C in my fermentation fridge :wall

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:00 pm

Does space restrict you to 1 fridge?

I bought a 2nd for this reason. I have them both in the garage.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:07 pm

McMullan wrote:I'm confused about this thread. I have kegged beer currently conditioning at 3-4*C in my fermentation fridge :wall
Quite an ambiguous term to be fair.

If you are trying to 'gas up' your beer in its bottle by adding sugar then it's too cold.

If your 'aging' after it's fizzy then it's needs to be dark and cool. (Style dependant)

I would say your wasting energy if it's the latter.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

BenB

Post by BenB » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:46 pm

I've got one fermentation chamber (fits two FVs) in my brewshed the top of it is the worktop), then a chest freezer in a "shed extension" which fits a single FV for lagering then another chamber up in the loft which also fits two FVs or about 100+ bottles for conditioning....

Can you have too many temperature controlled chambers in this game???

j444fog
Steady Drinker

Post by j444fog » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:51 pm

No BenB, I think in this circumstance, more is definitely better, it would be a crime to run out of ale because of a lack of temp control chambers ....

dshar
Steady Drinker

Post by dshar » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:16 pm

I use the fridge for fermentation control, then up to 23c for 3 weeks to carb bottles, then just unplug and allow to condition in the fridge at ambient temp which is fairly constant in the cellar at 15c. Works fine for 4-5 23l brews a year, but i guess im not drinking that much for fridge space to be a problem!

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:32 pm

LeeH wrote:
McMullan wrote:I'm confused about this thread. I have kegged beer currently conditioning at 3-4*C in my fermentation fridge :wall
Quite an ambiguous term to be fair.

If you are trying to 'gas up' your beer in its bottle by adding sugar then it's too cold.

If your 'aging' after it's fizzy then it's needs to be dark and cool. (Style dependant)

I would say your wasting energy if it's the latter.
Depends on what definition of 'conditioning' we're going for today. If conditioned, as I accept it, is bright, carbonated beer, then under pressure in a keg at cool temperature does the trick :wink:

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:00 pm

BenB wrote:I've got one fermentation chamber (fits two FVs) in my brewshed the top of it is the worktop), then a chest freezer in a "shed extension" which fits a single FV for lagering then another chamber up in the loft which also fits two FVs or about 100+ bottles for conditioning....

Can you have too many temperature controlled chambers in this game???
haha never too many. I have a larder fridge which can fit 2 FV's if required and also an undercounter fridge. I often have 2 or sometimes 3 on the go at the same time so I can use the larder fridge for a couple of ales and the undercounter for a lager etc. I also have a chest freezer which houses 4 x 19/20L kegs and a 9L Cornie as well which I use to carb and condition in. I'll sometimes bottle all or part of a batch from the Keg and store in the spare 'food' fridge freezer. All of these are stored in my garage :D. My neighbours must think I am nuts the amount of times I am in and out my garage, often with buckets, hoses, pots and bottles.