Pudding Rice

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
london_lhr
Steady Drinker

Re: Pudding Rice

Post by london_lhr » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:37 pm

Yep
The Dengie

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:03 pm

I still recommend Lidl Rice Snaps as a cheap and easy alternative.

Theres an article here that gives detail of cereal mashing in North America at a time when most brewed beer in UK was ale. It covers the cost differences and influence that has on different breweries of the two processes.

There's great merit in experimenting with rice, just don't expect it to bring anything to the party. If you replace 5% of the malt with rice you can expect the same strength beer with 95% of the taste. That might not seem very good, but to a commercial brewer it can because he can then reduce the hops by 5% and get the same balance, when serving the beer freezing cold, it would be difficult to taste any difference. Note the descriptors used in the article.

I think it's been said that the reason for using rice and maize in North America was to overcome the high nitrogen content of their 6 row barley when compaired to UK 2 row, but plenty of British breweries use maize, although it does add some flavour. Vaux used maize at that time while to my eye their malt then, which was malted on site, was kilned more to be darker than today's pale malt.

Have fun.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Chug

Post by Chug » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Excellent I'll look in tesco for some tomorrow then,

Eric, would that be the lidl version of rice crispies? if so do they have all the extra vitamins and preservatives and crap like most breakfast cereal?

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:32 am

Chug wrote:Excellent I'll look in tesco for some tomorrow then,

Eric, would that be the lidl version of rice crispies? if so do they have all the extra vitamins and preservatives and crap like most breakfast cereal?
Not from what is claimed on the label, only salt and barley malt extract if my memory serves me well. Check before you buy them, those from Asda and Aldi are not suitable, not sure about Sainsbury, Morrison, Tesco and Waitrose, not in that league but suspect they would have more extras.

I'm drinking from 23l beer made from:-
3500g pale,
200g Lidl Rice Snaps,
300g Invert #1 made from 45p/kg cane sugar from B&M

with 20g Summit for 80mins and 25g Celeia for 7 mins
with 15th generation in my hands TT yeast and half a protafloc tablet.

It isn't the best beer in the world but it's not miles away from being as cheap to make as Budweiser manage except its drinkable.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Chug

Post by Chug » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks Eric. :D