Pudding Rice

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Pudding Rice

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:54 am

I have a bag of ground rice in the cupboard,it came from asda which I found it in the Asian food area. which I have use in some brews but not all but only at about 3% of the grain bill , like you say it needs a boil, it can be a pain for sticking to the pan. But so does the polenta (ground corn) as well as porrage oats.
Anyhow it works for me and yep I've added all 3 in the same brew. :lol:
To Busy To Add,

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:41 pm

Yea was getting a bit gunky in the pan after 30 mins but did the job.

My mam and dad like Coors and I've found a recipe which uses rice and corn so that's gonna be my next brew day. Should be just the job cold and fizzy in the summer. I'm going to use corn meal.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:30 pm

Just put this Coors recipie together in Beersmith and using yeast slurry at 0p the 20L batch comes in at 10p a pint! Lol

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:05 am

I brewed a cream ale a few months ago and used some flaked maize that i already had in stock and was planning on using flaked rice, when i couldn't find any in the supermarket i opted for puffed rice, i used an organic version (Kalco?) which had no added vitamins or minerals, worked really well and produced a nice crisp dry beer, i plan on doing a similar one for this summer.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:50 pm

At the moment I'm really interested in using adjuncts and flexing my brewing skills. So far so good. I find it really interesting to know what ingredients people use which can be readily had at the supermarket. I'm going to bottle a litre of this brew so I can have a taste test in a few weeks, can't wait until the summer for a sample.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:50 am

alexlark wrote:Just put this Coors recipie together in Beersmith and using yeast slurry at 0p the 20L batch comes in at 10p a pint! Lol
Here's a link about brewing with corn, have a good read, somewhere down the page it says about using cornmeal (polenta)
http://byobootcamp.com/stories/issue/it ... -with-corn

Remember your percentages, I onlly ever use 3-5%
Happy corn brewing
To Busy To Add,

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:51 am

Thanks for that Wonky. I was wondering about the percentage differences by using different types of corn.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:01 pm

Interesting read. I've got Cornmeal from Morrisons so all ready to go. I'll check the percentages in Beersmith and finalise the recipe. Hopefully brew this next Saturday.

Chug

Post by Chug » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:14 pm

alexlark wrote:Went with the Lidl long grain rice after, 40p for 1kg. Cooked it on the hob for 30 minutes and added cold water to it to bring it down to 70c. I heated the mash water to 68c, normally I go for 71c/72c. Mashed in and then added the rice. I kept back some hot and cold water so that I could adjust but by this time I was 30mm from the top of the pot and the temp was 65.8c, don't you just feel smug when that happens!!

My volume into the FV was spot on but I was 5 gravity points over. Beersmith had underestimated the rice, I had selected flaked rice for the recipe. So what I did was copy the flaked rice ingredient and adjusted it to come near to what I had got with the Lidl rice, see if that works for the next batch.

For this batch I also used half of the yeast slurry from the previous brew, Saflager W34/70. 24 hrs in and nothing! But this morning (42hrs) active fermentation!! Will save yeast slurry more often.
Wonkydonkey wrote:I have a bag of ground rice in the cupboard,it came from asda which I found it in the Asian food area. which I have use in some brews but not all but only at about 3% of the grain bill , like you say it needs a boil, it can be a pain for sticking to the pan. But so does the polenta (ground corn) as well as porrage oats.
Anyhow it works for me and yep I've added all 3 in the same brew. :lol:
Alex, Wonkey,
I've been searching and asking on another forum about using rice for a red stripe clone.
Do you add the rice and the water it is boiled in to the mash, or just add the rice?

The clone recipes I've seen for red stripe seem to be around 10% rice do you think that is too much?

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:03 am

When I've used rice (ground type), not much really. I guess 2-3%, ive just boiled it in plenty of water, but no grain involed at this time,(I've even boiled all 3, polenta rice and p oats in the same pot, boy did it look like puke,,lol) a bit like the link I posted about cornmeal/polenta plenty of stiring during heating and boiling. Anyhow the whole thickish slurry was added into the mash tun, water was added to this to get the right strike temp and the grain mixed in. But if your using whole rice, I guess it's easier to use/cook it but you'd need to make it more easly avalible to the amilase by mushing it up with a stick blender

The link I posted says about using 6 row barlely or 2 row and percentages, like I say find the right percentage for you beer/right type grain and give it ago but may be worth going low percent first try.

I can't really say much more than this, as I really only used it to thin/dry out and add a bit of a different flavour to my beer, and this post came up and then I found abit more about it,
Good luck, let us know how you get on
Cheers.
To Busy To Add,

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:16 am

I used 700g long grain rice in the Peroni clone, volume into the FV 20L.

I was going to really mash it up but when I used some for normal cooking it was really starchy and gloopy, even after rinsing beforehand (cheap rice I guess) but this made it perfect for brewing as I overshot my OG.

Yep, chuck the complete cooked mass into the mash.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:27 pm

alexlark wrote:I used 700g long grain rice in the Peroni clone,

Yep, chuck the complete cooked mass into the mash.
Lol,, :D :D =D> =D>
To Busy To Add,

london_lhr
Steady Drinker

Post by london_lhr » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:32 pm

I think the pudding rice referred to in your recipe is the flaked pudding rice from Tesco.
They sell both pudding rice AND flaked pudding rice!
It is the FLAKED pudding rice you want and that can be used in your mash tun straight from the packet.
Any other rice that has not been flaked needs to be boiled first and then added to the mash, water and all (if any water still in the pot!).
The only place I have seen the flaked pudding rice sold is at Tesco.
The Dengie

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Tesco, or should I say Costco,,@ 89p for 250g for the flaked and 99p for 500g of the normal pudding rice, I think I know what I,d go for.. But you'd pay more from the LHBS as vat is added to the food item that is being used for other hobbies. :shock: :wink: :wink: :D :lol: .
To Busy To Add,

Chug

Post by Chug » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:07 am

Thanks for the replies,

if I get flaked pudding rice from tesco, or another shop, I can put it straight into the mash?