Small scale commercial.

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
joe-mc
Sober

Re: Small scale commercial.

Post by joe-mc » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Why don't you two pool your resources and open a brewpub? 'The Fire House' :wink:

Good idea.
I'm in Tyne and wear Bazz.
You?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:22 pm

joe-mc wrote:Why don't you two pool your resources and open a brewpub? 'The Fire House' :wink:

Good idea.
I'm in Tyne and wear Bazz.
You?

We'd have to meet n the middle somewhere, i'm in London :lol:

joe-mc
Sober

Post by joe-mc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Sunderland then. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Horatio
Under the Table

Post by Horatio » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:32 pm

Go for it. I did and love it. I was also a firefighter too! I set up in 2013 in an outbuilding in the garden. It is hard work and you won't get rich either. Within a year I had a 2.5bbl brewery and have now expanded to a 6bbl plant on an industrial estate. All started with a 10 gallon set up!
If I had all the money I'd spent on brewing... I'd spend it on brewing!

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:56 am

Horatio wrote:Go for it. I did and love it. I was also a firefighter too! I set up in 2013 in an outbuilding in the garden. It is hard work and you won't get rich either. Within a year I had a 2.5bbl brewery and have now expanded to a 6bbl plant on an industrial estate. All started with a 10 gallon set up!
I am currently doing up an outbuilding (i have a thread started somewhere on here) to house my small brewery. After reading your post who knows where it might take me! :D

As for the OP I would say definetly go for it, the more I read the more I see there are lots of people that have made it work.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:17 am

Quite a few people try this, a few do succeed so it can be done (especially if serious profits aren't expected) but also many fail so its definitely something to think carefully about before investing heavily, IMO.

Aside from taxes and legislation the biggie seems to be that brewing (and associated stuff like cleaning) is only a small part of whats needed; selling the stuff is a hurdle for many too. You'd probably want to assess whether market stall could sell enough to recover the investment, it may be that you'd need additional sales outlets.
Kev

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:05 pm

It definitely seems like a possibility then, like i said i have a few years to get organised with this, it's not something i'm going to be rushing into, and fortunately for me the aim is to only top up my pension rather than to make a million, and i intend it to be just one product amongst my line up of cheeses, chocolate and chutneys. It just happens to be the one product that has more red tape around it.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:54 pm

About the only way to make a small fortune with small scale commercial brewing is to start with a large fortune. :bonk :wink:
I'm just here for the beer.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:29 pm

Rookie wrote:About the only way to make a small fortune with small scale commercial brewing is to start with a large fortune. :bonk :wink:
And possibly lose it :shock: Minimal investment with lots of 'elbow grease' and graft. Nothing to lose? Your neighbour brews better beer :lol:

fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by fego » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:51 pm

McMullan wrote:Nothing to lose? Your neighbour brews better beer :lol:
Just wondering what you mean by that?
Tea is for mugs...

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:00 am

fego wrote:
McMullan wrote:Nothing to lose? Your neighbour brews better beer :lol:
Just wondering what you mean by that?
Brewing fantastic beer is easy.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:02 pm

McMullan wrote:Brewing fantastic beer is easy.
Yes, especially when 'fantastic' is to the taste of just a few like-minded people. Brewing it consistently at that same high level, and perhaps to the taste of a wider audience, is harder. To do so at a profitable budget and to a schedule/turnover that meets demand can be harder still. I don't think its uncommon for people to find their initial quality difficult to maintain when time gets taken up by other business requirements and/or when time becomes money.
Kev