Comparing yeasts

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
simon12
Hollow Legs

Re: Comparing yeasts

Post by simon12 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:52 pm

Sorry got that last post wrong its maribrew ale 514

jinjahbiscuit
Steady Drinker

Post by jinjahbiscuit » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:54 pm

I tried a similar method last year, the first attempt was a simple wheat beer 50 / 50 pale malt and wheat and using the same hops (can't remember what they were, I don't have my log book with me). I split the wort between two demijohns and pitched Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat into one and Wyeast 3068 Weizen into the other. They were both fermented under the same conditions and primed and bottled the same. But the difference in flavour was amazing. The 3056 really was lovely, whereas the 3068 was pretty dull in comparison, drinkable, sure, but quite bland.
Just before Christmas I made another simple wort using mostly Pilsen malt with a little wheat, the same hops (again I can't remember what they were!) and split this one three ways. One demijohn was pitched with Mangrove Jacks M41 Belgium ale, the second with MJ M47 Belgium abbey (hoping for a sort of Patersbier) and the third with Saflager S-23, which hopefully will be my first lager beer, taking advantage of the cold in the back of my garage.
The first two were fermented together and primed bottled and the third was transferred to secondary after the main activity has died down, another first for me and then put into the cold garage. Hopefully, I'll be bottling that one next week and enjoying the other two whilst waiting for it to condition. I love this brewing thing!

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:35 pm

jinjahbiscuit wrote:I tried a similar method last year, the first attempt was a simple wheat beer 50 / 50 pale malt and wheat and using the same hops (can't remember what they were, I don't have my log book with me). I split the wort between two demijohns and pitched Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat into one and Wyeast 3068 Weizen into the other. They were both fermented under the same conditions and primed and bottled the same. But the difference in flavour was amazing. The 3056 really was lovely, whereas the 3068 was pretty dull in comparison, drinkable, sure, but quite bland.
Just before Christmas I made another simple wort using mostly Pilsen malt with a little wheat, the same hops (again I can't remember what they were!) and split this one three ways. One demijohn was pitched with Mangrove Jacks M41 Belgium ale, the second with MJ M47 Belgium abbey (hoping for a sort of Patersbier) and the third with Saflager S-23, which hopefully will be my first lager beer, taking advantage of the cold in the back of my garage.
The first two were fermented together and primed bottled and the third was transferred to secondary after the main activity has died down, another first for me and then put into the cold garage. Hopefully, I'll be bottling that one next week and enjoying the other two whilst waiting for it to condition. I love this brewing thing!
Sounds good that :). I still have not got round to doing this yet. I have just got a new element so i do not have to gas any more. This way i can do the boil in the house instead of carrying it out to the garage to boil. Once the element is fitted i will be splitting a few brews with different yeasts to see what they are like.

I like the sound of splitting the simple wheat beer that you did

jinjahbiscuit
Steady Drinker

Post by jinjahbiscuit » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:18 pm

Yeah, go for it. I was quite surprised by the difference in flavour. The 3056 really did bring out the spicy, slightly banana sort of flavours that I'd experienced with commercial beers that I'd bought for a guide, never really having drank wheat beers before.
I hope my "Patersbier" and (maybe) lager work just as well. If they do, then it'll be a full 5 gallon mash for the best one.