Comparing yeasts

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
chefgage
Hollow Legs

Comparing yeasts

Post by chefgage » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:39 am

Heres the situation. I have been brewing lots of smash brews using the same type of grain and yeast but changing just the hops each time. I now have a few different recipes that I like but would now like to keep the grain and hops he same but change the yeast each time.

I have used safale us-05 everytime, can someone suggest a yeast (dry) that would give me a good noticable difference to that of the us-05?

The basic smash recipe i have been using is 10l batches using maris otter, us-05 yeast and different hops each time.

Cheers

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Comparing yeasts

Post by orlando » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:23 am

chefgage wrote:Heres the situation. I have been brewing lots of smash brews using the same type of grain and yeast but changing just the hops each time. I now have a few different recipes that I like but would now like to keep the grain and hops he same but change the yeast each time.

I have used safale us-05 everytime, can someone suggest a yeast (dry) that would give me a good noticable difference to that of the us-05?

The basic smash recipe i have been using is 10l batches using maris otter, us-05 yeast and different hops each time.

Cheers
American or British? What is the style you are looking for?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:59 am

WY1318 is one of my favourite yeasts currently, but without knowing the styles you hope to brew, it's difficult to recommend something appropriate.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:10 pm

If you want a large range of yeasty flavours from dry yeas then I'd pick s04 and windsor for english ones, belle saison and abbaye for belgiany ones and try w34/70 too if you can, it can be rather clean even at too warm for lager temps :) Although I'd still keep it a low as you can

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:51 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am not really thinking much about styles but more on how a different yeast would change the beer made from the exact same ingrediants (minus the yeast of course).

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Going to be brewing double the batch size and then splitting it into two fermenters, then hopefully using two different yeasts that would give me a very noticible different outcome.

Just experimenting and learning really.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:54 pm

Hanglow wrote:If you want a large range of yeasty flavours from dry yeas then I'd pick s04 and windsor for english ones, belle saison and abbaye for belgiany ones and try w34/70 too if you can, it can be rather clean even at too warm for lager temps :) Although I'd still keep it a low as you can
Sounds good :)

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:33 pm

You will be supprised how different the yeast perform, ie speed in getting to FG, muting or making the hops stand out or even stressing (under pitching, or at higher temps) the same yeast like the abbey or trap's yeast can give very different flavors, like bananas etc.
I nearly always split my batches and ferment with different yeast and get two realy different beers. Which also can make you wish you had brewed with only the better tasting type yeast. But it's still good to compare them.
Happy fermenting
To Busy To Add,

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:33 pm

Wonkydonkey wrote:You will be supprised how different the yeast perform, ie speed in getting to FG, muting or making the hops stand out or even stressing (under pitching, or at higher temps) the same yeast like the abbey or trap's yeast can give very different flavors, like bananas etc.
I nearly always split my batches and ferment with different yeast and get two realy different beers. Which also can make you wish you had brewed with only the better tasting type yeast. But it's still good to compare them.
Happy fermenting
Thats what i am hoping happens. I am quite enjoying experimenting at the moment with different hop and amounts of them. I am looking forward to trying different yeasts next.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:59 pm

Best advice I can give is get yourself some Nottingham ale yeast and ferment at 16-17°C and at 20- 22 °C you will be amazed by the difference.

Another one to try if you have temp control is lager yeasts :)

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:16 am

darkonnis wrote:Best advice I can give is get yourself some Nottingham ale yeast and ferment at 16-17°C and at 20- 22 °C you will be amazed by the difference.

Another one to try if you have temp control is lager yeasts :)
I have a spare fridge, if i ever get round to sorting it out for temperture control i will give the nottingham ale yeast a try

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by MarkA » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:58 pm

Safbrew T-58 would be good to try, ferment it at 23 degrees for a peppery/spicy flavour

I like the sound of this experiment, please keep us informed!

serum

Post by serum » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:44 pm

Nottingham, Belle Saison and T-58 are all very different.

EKG or Styrian Goldings would be a good hop to use with those for a single hop brew and those yeasts.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:03 pm

MarkA wrote:Safbrew T-58 would be good to try, ferment it at 23 degrees for a peppery/spicy flavour

If I get the fridge sorted I will give it a try.
serum wrote:Nottingham, Belle Saison and T-58 are all very different.

EKG or Styrian Goldings would be a good hop to use with those for a single hop brew and those yeasts.
I have some EKG for an ESB i might be doing. I am putting another order in so i will have to get some of the yeasts you have suggested

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:51 pm

MarkA wrote:Safbrew T-58 would be good to try, ferment it at 23 degrees for a peppery/spicy flavour

I asked a similar question on here a few years ago and got this answer, unfortunately never got round to trying it and still have a pack that expired in 2014.