When and how should mash pH be measured?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

When and how should mash pH be measured?

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Should it be measured once the mash temperature has stabilised, part way through the mash or at the end?

And should my pH meter be waggled about in the mash or should some wort be run off, cooled to 20C, then measured?

Thanks.

Guy

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: When and how should mash pH be measured?

Post by Kev888 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:21 pm

Normal practice is about 10min-15mins from mashing in. The wort (edit: a sample removed from the mash) should be cooled to about 20c - partly because room temperature is the standard assumption, partly because most meter's automatic temperature compensation (if they have one) isn't very reliable, and partly because its kinder on the probe.

The same wort at different temperatures gives a different reading, so automated processes that measure warm wort 'live' can't be directly compared with traditional room-temperature readings. I believe lack of distinction over this in some literature may be one reason for disagreements as to the ideal PH range.
Last edited by Kev888 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:16 pm

Thanks Kev

So, does this mean I should run some wort out of the tun and cool it?

Guy

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:29 pm

Like Kev I go for 10-15 mins into mash. Poor of a small amount and crash cool, very quick as it's a small sample.

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:06 am

Once I have the mash settled I take a sample of wort in an eggcup and cool it down to 20C then put my PH meter into it and leave it rest for a few minutes. I good practice is to also measure the PH of your last sparge runnings and not let it go above 6.0 PH.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:12 pm

What kind of meter do you use? Does it need to be calibrated regularly?

john luc

Post by john luc » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:15 pm

I use a pen type. I also do recalibrate regularly

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:32 pm

john luc wrote:Once I have the mash settled I take a sample of wort in an eggcup and cool it down to 20C then put my PH meter into it and leave it rest for a few minutes. I good practice is to also measure the PH of your last sparge runnings and not let it go above 6.0 PH.
This. After 10 minutes cooled to 20-25c (because this is how the original measurements were taken and is now the standard reporting method, and the benefits Kev mentioned) and always after calibrating as mine drifts. If you treat your sparge water to an alkalinity of 20-25 your last runnings shouldn't be over pH 6 or something has gone badly wrong.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:36 pm

Many thanks everyone.

I've had a pen type pH meter for ages but never known the best way of using it.

It's brewday tomorrow, hopefully, so I'll calibrate the pH meter before getting the mash going (I've got two buffer solutions) then take a series of measurements as suggested.

Guy

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:33 pm

guypettigrew wrote:Many thanks everyone.

I've had a pen type pH meter for ages but never known the best way of using it.

It's brewday tomorrow, hopefully, so I'll calibrate the pH meter before getting the mash going (I've got two buffer solutions) then take a series of measurements as suggested.

Guy
If you get the mash pH in the right range and your sparge water alkalinity right for the style, what you should see is a gradual fall in pH right through to packaging.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:29 pm

Would I be correct in thinking that the initial change in mash PH is relatively slow - enough that the varying time taken for different brewers to mash in (i.e. get all the grain warm, wet and contributing) won't cause a significant difference in the initial mash PH measurement?
Kev

john luc

Post by john luc » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:20 pm

I find that the PH meter reads the sample but can often adjust 0.1 or 0.2 over approx 10 minutes or so. Not always but sometimes. For me it is built in to my standard brew day as normal as crushing the grain.

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Excellent, thanks - thats more or less as I recalled. So when comparing with others (or preferred PH ranges), slight differences in mash-in rate or sample time aren't going to cause big discrepancies. Though yes, still worth being consistent within one's own process.
Kev

orlando

Post by orlando » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:56 pm

Kev888 wrote:Excellent, thanks - thats more or less as I recalled. So when comparing with others (or preferred PH ranges), slight differences in mash-in rate or sample time aren't going to cause big discrepancies. Though yes, still worth being consistent within one's own process.
As I said, do your normal mash in, shut down the hatches and wait 10-15 minutes. I take this time to calibrate the meter, then get the sample and cool to circa 20c, Aleman puts a shot glass in the freezer puts the sample in that and it is almost instantly ready to be read. Leave dunked in for 5 minutes to allow the reading to settle. My next reading is the last runnings, just want to know the pH is below 6. Final brew day reading is of the finished wort, again looking for a further lowering of the pH hoping to get 5-5.2. Final pH in the finished beer should be under 4.4, better still under 4 but the yeast choice plays a significant part here. A pH meter gives you an insight to how your process is doing and can be a guide as to what change in your practices/choices might be required. If you get the mash pH right and reduce alkalinity in your sparge to the correct levels most of this should look after itself. Just nice to know. :wink:

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:26 pm

Thanks for all the tips. Brewing today and so far the readings have been; 15 minutes into the mash, pH 5.3; end of mash, before beginning the sparge, pH 5.2; final runnings at the end of the sparge, pH 5.6.

I'll take another reading of the finished wort--I'd wondered if that would be worthwhile. I'll also go and check the pH of the beers I've got on tap. The thought of checking the beer pH hadn't even crossed my mind!

Guy