Cloudy with acetaldehyde

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Jim my

Cloudy with acetaldehyde

Post by Jim my » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:49 am

Latest brew OG 1054 ESB. It's now been in the fermenter for two weeks, there has been no activity in the air lock for three days now and the SG has stayed at a steady 1011.
I used WLP023 Burton ale yeast which I know is slow to drop out but having taken a SG reading this morning the beer is still so cloudy it looks almost milky, it has normally started to clear slightly by now, also there is a strong Acetaldehyde smell and taste.
I am unsure of what to do now. Should I leave in fermenter until yeast has cleared up the 'what I think is Acetaldehyde' , or should I rack off to secondary fermenter ( which I have never had to do before.) to get the beer off the yeast cake as there is still loads in suspension. Or should I ramp the temp up a bit? She has fermented at a steady 20C.
I'm hoping I haven't got an infection.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Cloudy with acetaldehyde

Post by Kev888 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:55 pm

It may be in infection, especially if it begins to taste vinegar-like as time goes on, but there are other causes so don't bin it too readily.

It may be that the yeast were stressed for some reason, so didn't finish converting the acetaldehyde adequately. In that case it may well improve, given further time. Stressed yeast are one situation in which autolysis is more likely to become an issue, and this may take a while to clear up, so personally I'd rack to a new vessel for maturing. A secondary fermenter (with decently sealing lid) would be okay, and useful if theres still a lot of yeast to settle out, or it could be kegged as FG seems to be more or less reached. Bearing in mind that if it does turn out to have an infection, whatever container is used must be capable of a through cleaning, bleaching etc (or if in doubt, discarding).

These flavours can also be a sign of oxidation of the alcohol though (which won't respond so well to maturing). So best take care not to introduce any more air than necessary, whatever you do.
Kev

Jim my

Post by Jim my » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:47 pm

Thanks Kev888, I'll rack off as there is plenty of yeast left in suspension.
I can't think why the yeast would've been stressed unless it's because I over pitched, it would be nice to know what has caused this but I expect I never really will, unless it turns out to be an infection of course.

gnorwebthgimi

Post by gnorwebthgimi » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:41 pm

Could be wild yeast...

Could be nothing...

I would have just done what you normally do and hope for the best.

Hope this beer turned out ok for you.

Jim my

Post by Jim my » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Thanks gnorwebthgimi, I Kegged it and force carbonated. It is still very cloudy but clearing slowly. I had a little taste yesterday and it's not bad, just a slight twang lingers at the back of the mouth on the sides of my tongue. It's not an overpowering off taste but it is there.
Still, it's a drinkable brew, just not one I will share with others.