Elements

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
fishplate
Piss Artist

Elements

Post by fishplate » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:52 pm

I've just got my wort to a rolling boil and added my first hop addition, when my element packed up. Can't get a new 1 while tomorow afternoon, will the wort be ok

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Elements

Post by Kev888 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:12 pm

It would probably be okay after a day. The sugars are very attractive to wild yeast etc, but it takes them a little while to build up and in reaching the boil you will have both disinfected the wort and stopped the enzymes changing things, which is good. I would definitely resume and complete the boil before pitching though.

The extra time the wort will spend hot (before it cooled, and then as you regain the boil) will bring slightly more bitterness from the boil hops, but probably not a lot. Thankfully it sounds like just the bittering hops are involved, it would have been different if there were later additions.
Last edited by Kev888 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

naturals

Post by naturals » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:13 pm

I've had this on a RIS I brewed - it required boiling over 2-3 days to get a decent boil without the elements cutting out. It should be just fine. Keep it covered and give it a good strong boil to kill off any nasties.

fishplate
Piss Artist

Post by fishplate » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:33 pm

Thanks for the reply's much appreciated

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Capped
Under the Table

Post by Capped » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Top Tip - fit two elements. If one packs up mid-boil, you've got back up. Also, letting 'em av it both barrels brings the wort to the boil pronto. And firing them both up at the time of adding the protofloc gives an amazingly violent boil which is something to behold and can't do any harm in coagulating the proteins.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:06 pm

are these hacked elements from a kettle?? if so did you remove all the protection, in addition to a bimetalic 'ping ring' there may also be a white pin that needs yanking out too ;)

If cut out due to such protection It may reset once cooled sufficiently,

the element should conduct well between its 2 power pins, so a meter with a continuity buzzer or resistance testing can tell you if the element has burnt out with a simple continuity test when cool,

and a definate +1 to 2 x element fitting ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(