Hello, and help!

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
BenB

Re: Hello, and help!

Post by BenB » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:37 pm

It's a very good point. I was going to charge in and say "I used them and it was fine" but then I remembered I did have some dodgey tasting beers early on in my AG career. I put it down to contamination. Never quite found the cause.... it might have been the drops. You never know. I only ever used a new packet but still.... you'ld hope they're that sugary it would prevent contamination due to osmotic forces.

Gavlar

Post by Gavlar » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:05 pm

Cheers Guy, Ben, that's another good variable to play with.

So, we're on again for this Saturday. I'm going to get some bottled water from Tesco for brew day, I'm upping my washing & rinsing game before I transfer to the fermenter, then priming with sugar instead of drops when I bottle. Fingers crossed :D

BenB

Post by BenB » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:45 pm

If you use sugar make sure it's boiled with water and cooled in a sanitised container before use. Starsan'd foil over a saucepan will suffice. An Erlemeyer flask for bling value is traditional though...

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:33 pm

BenB wrote:If you use sugar make sure it's boiled with water and cooled in a sanitised container before use. Starsan'd foil over a saucepan will suffice. An Erlemeyer flask for bling value is traditional though...
Ben,
Why not thoroughly dissolve the sugar in a pint of beer from FV1 ( I don`t like saying wort) on a gentle heat, put it in to
FV2 still warm, then syphon brew onto primer?
That`s what I`ve always done. Never a problem.

WA

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:26 pm

Yep i also disolve sugar in 200ml of water and lobbed it into bottling bucket not had an issue

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:58 pm

I find batch priming with sugar solution the best way to bottle. Also using a tap to hose to little bottler setup has sped things up massively.

BenB

Post by BenB » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:13 pm

My rationale was that the funny taste the OP has experienced could be infection and boiling priming solution removes one place for this to be introduced. I like the idea of a post fermentation decoction though :)

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:38 am

I have had similar issues but found time helps. Some ales have taken About 4 or 5 weeks to carbonate using drops. I also have a problem with oily mouthfeel with all ales, although others have said they don't detect it. Maybe I should look at rindng more as I just rinse one or twice then star San.