First Wheat beer, very active yeast

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
mrboxpiff
Steady Drinker

First Wheat beer, very active yeast

Post by mrboxpiff » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi all, as the subject states, I've got my first Wheat beer in the fv. I read somewhere that you should leave plenty of head space for this year yeast, which I did, but the head has still come through the air lock.
Question, should I just leave it be, or remove the air lock, clean it all up and put it back?
Thanks in advance
Mrboxpiff

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Re: First Wheat beer, very active yeast

Post by chefgage » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:30 pm

I have stopped using airlocks for that same reason. I would remove the airlock and fit a blow off tube. Before i stopped using air locks the fermenting vessel used to get in a right state what with fermenting beer going everywhere.

Chug

Post by Chug » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:11 am

If you have this type of airlock you can fit a blow off tube going to a jar.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.44 KiB) Viewed 990 times

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:21 am

Personally I'd remove the airlock, clean up around the airlock hole and then and replace the airlock with some sanitised foil for a couple of days. While I'm extremely anti-oxidation, there's plenty of yeasts that work better without an airlock initially for me to leave it off for the first 4-5 days and then I go to an airlock (before fermentation is complete).

Regarding cleaning - use a clean cloth or sponge - ideally an unused one (your average washing up cloth is crawling with nasties) or some kitchen towel. Spray with starsan and wipe off crud.

Just clean everything from the outside, don't take the lid off.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:04 am

I'm happy to crush the yeast down when it's this lively, and clean up. Lid off to do so, as briefly as possible, everything well sanitsed, including a new j cloth. Often have to crush 3 times with the most eruptive ones, even with 30% headspace. I prefer to keep the yeast in there rather than let loads escape through blow off tubes.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery