Hop Aroma

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Padalac

Re: Hop Aroma

Post by Padalac » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Just found this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!top ... 56OhTk8joM

Does not shed much light, but people seem to be saying there could be off flavours caused

Andy__

Post by Andy__ » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:44 pm

For me the answer is to replicate the hop plug that is placed in many pale ale casks. So instead of bottle conditioning my beer I use Cornelius kegs and include a small quantity of LEAF aroma hops (say 30g) in a weighted nylon bag. I use late hopes for flavour and I do not dry hop in the FV. The small quantity in the keg is enough to give good additional flavour and aroma, but is not grassy (IMO) until the beer finishes. When I bottle from the keg the flavour and aroma are transferred very well.

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:44 pm

Padalac wrote:Just found this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!top ... 56OhTk8joM

Does not shed much light, but people seem to be saying there could be off flavours caused
In my experience (one batch), it didn't cause any off flavours. I did read something along these lines, but not until I'd packaged my beer. As I've said, I've only done it once, but definitely experienced a longer shelf life on the hop aroma in comparison to the next batch I brewed (where I forgot to add it). More data is needed.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:44 am

Padalac wrote:
Jocky wrote:Seems like you're on your way. Good luck!

Just a minor point - alpha acid is a measure of the bittering potential, and is almost completely disconnected from aroma/flavour. For example Warrior is high alpha, but very neutral flavour; Ahtanum is the opposite.

I agree with all of Padalacs comments aside from agitation, which feels like a route to oxidation and will work against aroma (unless you do it in a purged keg).
Hi Jocky,

thanks for that input. Usually I presume that the fermentation action would blow all the air out of the FV, and effectively purge the (small) headspace with CO2 - what do you reckon to this?

The vitamin C thing sounds interesting.. might have to try that

Yes, while fermentation is still happening you're OK in my opinion.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.