Wort Aeration made simple....

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
chivelegs

Wort Aeration made simple....

Post by chivelegs » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:31 pm

Evening All,

This is one of those "Why didn't I do this before' things that many of you probably already do, but for me it was a revelation.

The outlet tap on my boiler is attached to a PVC pipe which drops down into the fermenter. While making a 5.5% all-Comet IPA I was getting to the end and added my cooling coil. One of the outlet pipes had come slightly loose and I noticed lots of air seeping into the cooling water.

It was a eureka moment, as I realised that I could slightly loosen the outlet pipe on the boiler to get the same effect. Obviously I had to thoroughly sanitise the whole setup first

My outlet pipe looks like this (apologies for shoddy photos)

and by untightening the compression fitting attached to the PVC pipe by maybe half a turn, I could get loads of air bubbles flowing into the wort

result... loads of lovely bubbly head on the wort

up to here....

BenB

Re: Wort Aeration made simple....

Post by BenB » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:22 pm

Nice idea! Do you think it aerates better than just dumping it into a bucket fermenter from a height? My gut says probably- the bubbles in the beer will give a much greater surface area...

I wonder if there's a way of having a permanently attached aeration device.

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:15 pm

You're creating a venturi effect by cracking the joint - make sure all the threads/olive/nut (not just the outsides) are scrupulously clean and properly sanitised because any contamination in/on them will be pulled through into the flow of wort as well.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:10 pm

why not use a micro drill and pop a diddy hole in the copper exit tube;) you can flame it to sanitise if worried, copper wont mind the lick of a flame ;)

and any nominal flow seepage will be guided down the spout and where u want it unlike loosened joints.

its one of those 'now you mention it its obvious' strokes of inspiration ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:36 am

You could of course use a shorter hose that just reaches inside the FV . That way the wort gets to be aerated as it flows.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

tickle

Post by tickle » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:08 am

I use a fish tank pump with a airstone works for me

chivelegs

Post by chivelegs » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:43 pm

Shorter hose is a great idea, simple to do. I usually run boiling wort through the outlet before the boil is finished and pour it back into the boiler to sterilise, but may use the flame approach next time. Always starsan to finish though.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:56 pm

while i used a long drop thru a nylon sieve with the 5gallon brewkit i have to admit i had never thought of applying the venturi effect. it would be a bit harder to use now what with SS connectors pumps for transport and a post kettle cfc chill. But i like the idea ;)
currently i pump to the FV and using a hook tube 'fountain' the beer into the FV for maximum splash

Image[/url]

i may have a play with popping a small hole in the 1mm ss tube tho ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:39 pm

I used do a very simular thing (small tube in a hole in the main tube) when I used to have fish tanks, if you google it there are lots of things fishy that like to do this, as fish are always using the air (O2) in water and you have to replenish as much as possible.

My advise is use a hepa filter where the air is being sucked in, but I do think there less complicated ways to airate your wort

Cheers
To Busy To Add,

BlackRocksBrewery

Post by BlackRocksBrewery » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:36 pm

I have used many different techniques of aerating the wort prior to pitching the yeast. These included shaking (not easy), stirring (not too effective) bubbling air through a fish tank pump with an air stone submersed in the wort. This was good but I was concerned about contamination through ineffective cleaning of the airline, stone etc. I now use a kitchen hand stick blender with shredding blades at the end. This creates a fantastic foaming wort that is really receptive to fermentation when yeast is added. I use liquid yeast and am disappointed if vigorous fermentation with this method has not started within 4 hours. It is easy to sanitise the stick blender and very quick to create the aerated wort.

Rad

Post by Rad » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:58 pm

I use disposable O2 bottle with a little regulator and an air stone wand. I soak the wand in starsan before the use and run O2 through it for few seconds before dunking it in. Works like a charm :)

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:55 pm

Rad wrote:I use disposable O2 bottle with a little regulator and an air stone wand. I soak the wand in starsan before the use and run O2 through it for few seconds before dunking it in. Works like a charm :)

Just started using pure o2 myself and have had very good results on the resulting brews. I have brewed both a high gravity and lager since moving to this and been delighted with how fast they kicked off and attenuated.

AndyCook

Post by AndyCook » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:26 pm

I use a paint stirr-er on my cordless drill to whip the wort. Oxygenates it very thoroughly.