Fining in primary?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Fining in primary?

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:51 pm

2-3 weeks--blimey!

My beer goes into a king keg with auxiliary finings and isinglass and takes 24-48 hours to clear.

You definitely need to try the gelatine, Mr WA.

Thanks for signing me up to full membership of the ELC. I'll be following your every post now, and trying to emulate everything you do!

Guy

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:26 pm

guypettigrew wrote: I'll be following your every post now, and trying to emulate everything you do!

Guy
You're head might hurt. :lol:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:02 am

orlando wrote:
guypettigrew wrote: I'll be following your every post now, and trying to emulate everything you do!

Guy
You're head might hurt. :lol:
And your broken Collar bone, drunken fall over. And your broken ribs (2), sober fall over in the beer shed whilst holding 2 bottles
of HB in each hand, I stepped on a crate, not wanting to release the bottles and save myself injury, I landed on my side on a beer crate and
broke two ribs. #-o
The bottles were held aloft and away from any damage! :D Yay! :D =D>
Bloody Homebrew Mun! Why do we (me) put ourselves through all this PAIN and JOY? :D :D
MrsAles thinks we are all a bunch of big kids! :D
MrsAles just said `Are you on that bloody jim`s thing again? I`m going to bed`. No kiss goodnight! :D

WA

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:15 am

I have clear beer too, this is to combat chill haze at low temperature (sub 5c) and dry hop haze (caused by the extra polyphenols added from a heavy dry hop). It's just an extra polish, although yeah my beer is clear when it goes into the bottle now, carbonation is the only concern from thereon.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:17 am

IPA wrote:Just pour the gelatine into the, preferably, secondary FV. DO NOT STIR. It will sink to the bottom and form a firm layer with the yeast.
What he said, no need to sprinkle, just a very gentle stir will do.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:04 am

The effects of gelatin become very obvious with a conical.

I have dumped the trub cone and chilled until the bottom valve gives only slightly hazy beer. Then add gelatin and bottle in 48 hrs. The bottom cone turns into over a litre of sludge that was destined for your beer.

I have a theory that it can remove foam negative compounds too

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:09 am

I use Gelatin when racking to the keg which after a couple of days chilled right down at 1c gives great results. I have had even better results when using this on a converted Corny keg. I am going to get a couple more for my other kegs.