Beersmith volumes

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
chefgage
Hollow Legs

Beersmith volumes

Post by chefgage » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:17 pm

I know theres quite a few posts on various forums about this but im still none the wiser.

Beersmith tells me my post boil volume should be 17.75l.

I physically measure this with a stick that i callibrated with water at about 6'c.

Should the measurement i take be the same as what beersmith says or should my measurement be different by the 4% volume different due to temperature.

So what im asking is has the post boil volume had 4% taken off it when beersmith displays it?

I.e. Do i need to recalibrate my stick with 100'c water or has beersmith effectively already doen this for me

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Beersmith volumes

Post by john luc » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:34 pm

Beersmith has a figure for post boil but your figure is the important one as your boil off rate can be different due to your own boilers design. When you know what your actual boil rate is you can then adjust beersmith to reflect that. Do you have an equipment profile set up for your own equipment.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Re: Beersmith volumes

Post by chefgage » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:17 am

I do have my equipment profile setup. Its got me thinking though as i always end up a couple of litres short. I have just put up with it until now. This is after 16 brews.

I have had a couple of hours playing with the software and have noticed on my last recipe that beersmith says the pre boil volume should be 18.5l.

It actually states 'pre-boil volume - top up to 18.5l if necessary'.

My volume at this point was 17.75l at this point and as beersmith's pre-boil volume does not adjust for temperature at this point as the extra volume difference is small this is my actual volume. This to me shows that my grain absorbtion is higher than what beersmith uses. This would make sense as i just lift the bag out and drain for a very short time.

Another issue i have realised tonight is the post volume that beersmith states. This from what i can gather is the temperature adjusted volume i.e. the volume with 4% added. This means as i am measuring with my cold water calibrated stick i need to adjust my figure at this point to give an accurate boil off rate.

Although in at each stage where i am not getting the correct reading is quite small it all adds up!! From my calculations tonight i think i have found my missing 2l.

Going to brew tomorrow night to test my theory. If it does not work i can always just brew an extra 2l :):)