Using my time more effectively...

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi all,

For the past 15 months I have struggled to brew due to the arrival of a new family member and an increase in my work load from my employer. Because of all this brewing has become less of a priority in comparison to my other hobbies (marathon running and video games - sacrilege, I know).

So with that in mind I am thinking of ways to cut back on the amount of time a brew day takes, so that I can fully utilise my spare time. Do the following seem ok (sorry if these are recycled questions in anyway).

1. Can I fill my kettle the night before with water, leave it for 24 hours, and then have a timer turn it on when I am on my way home?
2. I have recently installed a new combi boiler, can I fill up directly from the hot water tap to help with reduction of time, is it ok to use this water.

Thanks

Manngold

shepp

Re: Using my time more effectively...

Post by shepp » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:58 pm

I would ditch the 'life eater' video games.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:13 pm

Use a timer on your kettle. Works for me. Also, batch sparging is much quicker and less of a faff.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:47 pm

And yes you can use the combi. Turn the water temp to max and run the tap a bit slower. Put the water temp back as it was afterwards.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:08 pm

I fill the kettle the night before, and put it on a timer plug. 90 mins to get it to strike temp. Grain pre weighed and ready to mash in

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Filling the kettle the night before also lets you do any water treatment then, if you need to, without adding to the time on brew day. Any prep like that (another being putting the grains out) helps a lot I find, either by cutting down brew day length or enabling you to get on with other things during the mash etc.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:28 pm

Brilliant, thanks guys. For the record, is filling from the outside tap an issue?

thanks

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:39 pm

since i went BIAB/nochill i've got so much time kicking my heels on brewday i've thought about digging out the PS2..
dazzled, doused in gin..

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:26 pm

Manngold wrote:Brilliant, thanks guys. For the record, is filling from the outside tap an issue?

thanks
Not unless it's fed from your septic tank or something! :)

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:43 pm

you can get foodsafe blue hose for drinking water (brewing water) from caravan suppliers on ebay ;)

all good solutions just ensure any timers or automatic switches you use are rated to switch on and off the load your heating elements and controller will draw, most segment timers are rated 10a or less.. a cheap(er) diy timer solution is an ebay central heating/water tank segment timer ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:32 pm

one more, try "no chill" into a container it saves time on the hot side day and you can get the fermentation going later when it's convenient.

No Chill - http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/06/06 ... ue-tested/

#ATB. aamcle

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:57 pm

Here's my tips:

1. Get everything you can prepped the night before. Grains weighed and crushed, water treatment measured etc, equipment all laid out in the right place.
2. Either fill from the boiler (as long as it's a combi, tank based systems aren't safe as far as I know) or as you have thought, set it up on a timer.
3. No sparge. Or do a single batch sparge. Basically you can mash with your full volume of water if you have a big enough tun. You'll just need a little more grain to cope with the efficiency loss.
4. 30 minute boil. Yes 60 minute is ideal, but once you have a rolling boil 30 minutes should be fine as long as it's open.
5. A time to lean is a time to clean. If the boil is on you should be cleaning your mash tun out.
6. Get a good chiller. If you have a decent immersion chiller and you stand over the pot jiggling it up and down you'll get down to temperature rapidly (10 minutes or less).
7. Get decent cleaning chemicals. I love PBW. It's expensive but I don't need a lot and it just does the job so well.
8. Keep some old tea towels for drying. It'll help dry your equipment so you can put it away faster.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:04 am

Have you thought about overnight mashing?

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:28 am

Dennis King wrote:Have you thought about overnight mashing?
or even mashing and sparging on an evening and boiling in a morning? splits up a brew day nicely, i haven't used the immersion chiller on the last few brews either, just drained into the fermenter and pitched the yeast when the temps are suitable. i'm in the same boat, with a 2 year old toddler- he loves putting the hops in.
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Manngold wrote:Hi all,
I have recently installed a new combi boiler, can I fill up directly from the hot water tap to help with reduction of time, is it ok to use this water.
Thanks Manngold
Will you be filtering this water? Is it chlorinated?
Same questions about the water from the outside tap.
I'm just here for the beer.