Using my time more effectively...

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
BenB

Re: Using my time more effectively...

Post by BenB » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:12 pm

If you put the hlt on a timer it's worth fitting a temperature controller (even a simple one like an STC1000). It's easy to get it wrong and start boiling the liquour resulting in volume loss and a long wait for the water to cool back down. I get my water ready the night before with a Sesto PID controller on the input. Grain milled whilst having breakfast then mashing in just after 9....

DethApostle
Piss Artist

Post by DethApostle » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:06 pm

I recently went through a similar set of circumstances and to answer your questions... yes and yes! and, as somebody else said, invest in a decent mashtun (thermopot is best) and mash while you're at work or overnight. My thermopot MT lost 3 degrees C over 8 hours, perfect!

Alternatively I've now switched out from my 3V setup and moved to a Grainfather. It takes roughly the same amount of time to brew however because of the automation of stepped mashes etc and phone app I can spend time away from the kit with the family (or gaming!) while it's doing its thing!

DA
Demon Valley Brewing
2012 - 2020
--------------------------------
Total Brewed: 2560 pints
--------------------------------

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:58 pm

aamcle wrote:one more, try "no chill" into a container it saves time on the hot side day and you can get the fermentation going later when it's convenient.

No Chill - http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/06/06 ... ue-tested/

#ATB. aamcle
Thanks for this suggestion, aamcle. I do have a chill cube that I use and will continue to use. I am not that bothered about having crystal clear beers as it is usually only me that drinks it.
Dennis King wrote:Have you thought about overnight mashing?
I have. But have a feeling that I will lose too much in the way of temp. I mainly use BIAB method (although admittedly posted here as I thought I would get more responses). On a previous occasion I left it too long and it went down roughly 50c, is that an issue? How much does a change in temp after the first hour - 90 mins effect the finish product in terms of taste and abv?
Rookie wrote:
Manngold wrote:Hi all,
I have recently installed a new combi boiler, can I fill up directly from the hot water tap to help with reduction of time, is it ok to use this water.
Thanks Manngold
Will you be filtering this water? Is it chlorinated?
Same questions about the water from the outside tap.
I have a Brita Water Filter fitted to main water supply (cold water only). I am not sure if it is chlorinated. How would I go about finding this out. My supplier is Thames Water if that makes a difference.
DethApostle wrote:I recently went through a similar set of circumstances and to answer your questions... yes and yes! and, as somebody else said, invest in a decent mashtun (thermopot is best) and mash while you're at work or overnight. My thermopot MT lost 3 degrees C over 8 hours, perfect!

Alternatively I've now switched out from my 3V setup and moved to a Grainfather. It takes roughly the same amount of time to brew however because of the automation of stepped mashes etc and phone app I can spend time away from the kit with the family (or gaming!) while it's doing its thing!

DA
DA, unfortunately, for the moment a Grainfather is out of my league in terms of price. I have a little bit of extra income from side projects, so hopefully one of them can be used for that and not for SWMBO! To be honest, I am tempted to get a mash tun / thermo pot and just move to a 2v, type set up, but would probably have to build something so that I could transfer the liquid easily enough and not burn myself.

Thanks all for the overwhelming responses. Really appreciated.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:50 pm

Manngold wrote: I have a Brita Water Filter fitted to main water supply (cold water only). I am not sure if it is chlorinated. How would I go about finding this out. My supplier is Thames Water if that makes a difference.
I'd think that an e-mail to Thames water asking would be the easiest way, or get a water report from them.
I'm just here for the beer.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:42 pm

Isn't all drinking water chlorinated? I thought it was the only way to ensure it was safe to drink after travelling down the pipe.
I mash overnight. In 10 hours I lose about 12C. As long as it stays above 50C it should be safe. BIAB and no chill also save time on the day.

legion
Hollow Legs

Post by legion » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 pm

My last 3 brews have been raw ales. 30/40 min mash and no boil saves lots of time. Just heat wort to 75c to pasteurize and keep below 80c to stop DMS from being produced.
Finish it off with no chill to save more time.
Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 14:00 Wednesday 27 December
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers

dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by dean_wales » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:42 pm

I have a demanding job, demanding lady friend and two demanding little children. This what I have found works and doesn't work for me...

- Making crap beer. Whatever way you come at it, there is a time demand, so make sure it's worth it. Streamline your process but don't cut corners that detract from the beer.

- If you can, brew beer the Mrs likes. Mine has only recently come round to fizzy light hoppy APAs, so I do some of those to reduce whines.

- As others have said, get organised with a printed recipe and pre-weighed ingredients. Some online stores sell recipe kits with everything ready to go.

- Fit that timer/stat to the HLT so that its ready to dough in.

- Depending on your space. Have the gear ready to go. I used to brew in the kitchen and so much time was taking up with setup and pack away. Brewshed has solved that.

- Ensure your boiler is man enough to bring wort to the boil quickly and vigorously, shorten the boil to 60 from 90 too.

- If you have a brewfridge slap the fermenter in when the wort is still 30+ degrees and just chill in there. The last bit of the chill seems to take ages.

- Bottling is yet more time. So think about how you package your beer.

- Timing is key. I don't find brewing on a weekend in the day works, even if you can technically step away for a lot of the time. I do preheat whilst at work, dough in when I get in, dinner and kids bed time, sparge, boil whilst clearing up, cool to FV, bed, finish clear up in the morning when I might also pitch yeast.

- If you have the cash, automate.

Dean.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Click here for my cider pressing...
Click here to see my 20% Damson port experiment...
Click here for red wine from my allotment vine...

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:37 am

I'm in a similar boat myself as a new father, I used to overnight mash & no chill but have done two brews this weekend in the Grainfather. Mash and sparge in the evening, boil in the morning. I heated the wort to boiling after the sparge while I cleaned the malt pipe, partially to remove some nasties and partially to reduce the time to heat the next morning. No-chilled these two as well but will use the GF chiller again in the future.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Thanks all for the response. I have Easter off so plan to try and brew three beers!

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:55 am

Given that a chunk of my time is in setup and then post brew cleaning, I'm planning to do a double brew day over the weekend, so while the first beer is boiling the second will be mashing.

Probably going to be knackered at the end of it.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

46philh
Piss Artist

Post by 46philh » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:34 am

Manngold wrote:Hi all,

For the past 15 months I have struggled to brew due to the arrival of a new family member and an increase in my work load from my employer. Because of all this brewing has become less of a priority in comparison to my other hobbies (marathon running and video games - sacrilege, I know).

So with that in mind I am thinking of ways to cut back on the amount of time a brew day takes.....
2. I have recently installed a new combi boiler, can I fill up directly from the hot water tap to help with reduction of time, is it ok to use this water.

Thanks

Manngold
Have the same with new family. I built a pid so can leave hlt to heat up and not worry about being sat keep check temps. Can help with family until then.

46philh
Piss Artist

Post by 46philh » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:39 am

Plan a special day out for the wife, child and grandparent. Often planned two hours away so child (age dependent) gets sleep in car :-)

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:35 pm

46philh wrote:Plan a special day out for the wife, child and grandparent. Often planned two hours away so child (age dependent) gets sleep in car :-)
Genius!

I have three brews planned for Easter weekend! Fingers crossed!

Kohoutec
Steady Drinker

Post by Kohoutec » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:24 am

I always used to start my brew on a weekend morning until the kids arrived. They're now 5 and 2 and what works for me is starting late afternoon.
I work at home a couple of days a week so plan brew day for one of those, and finish early, usually 4...I find if i time it right i can still put the kids to bed whilst chilling my wort and be done by 9.30. This time of year it also helps chilling times in the evening as the water is colder!

Works well for me as doesn't tie up an entire day, and still doable on a weekend if need be

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk