Adjusters

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
beersoulman

Adjusters

Post by beersoulman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:38 pm

Which grains/ adjuncts do I not need to mash ( just boil for a few minutes) so I can use them to adjust mashed brew before fermentation ? I mean if I do a big mash and boil and split it into two , I would like to make one of them different ... I know crystal would be ok . But what else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Adjusters

Post by Fil » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:47 am

In one sense the only grains needed in the mash are those providing starch for conversion, so perhaps steep a few grains from each adjunct your considering using in warm water for a few mins and then try an iodine starch test, If starch is present it should turn the iodine pitch black and the grain in question will benefit from the mash, If the iodine remains redy brown then there isnt significant starch present and that adjunct could theoretically be steeped.

the iodine test wont tell you how much starch and therfore sugars an adjunct will contribute however, you could perhaps use brewing s/w for that by subtracting it from a recipe and working out how much sugar was derived by the drop in projected abv or OG

I suspect that the temp and ph of the mash and perhaps exposure to the enzymes of conversion may leech more from adjuncts than steeping alone could accomplish.. But until someone tries and finds out its just a suspicion.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(