Lupulin Powder

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Lupulin Powder

Post by Sadfield » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:11 am

Suspect that doesn't count as its a 'traditional' style.

I really don't understand the negativity towards the original post, why does it matter if a beer you haven't tried or aren't going to buy, brew or drink, is cloudy?

"Apparently they taste great. They don't look great, though."

Yes, they do. As for their appearance, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Surely, it is narrow minded to judge a book by its cover.

What is being missed is that the hopping technique is adapted to create different flavours through yeast interaction with hop volatiles. The turbid appearance is a byproduct of this biotransformation, without which the great taste cannot be achieved.

A typical lack of understanding leading to intolerance.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:25 pm

There's a good pod cast on Beersmith that discusses this,apparently the idea is to make hops more available as there simply isn't going to be enough hops the way things are going.
The hops after extraction are used as a lesser AA hop...
It's interesting.
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:00 pm

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:47 pm

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:08 pm

argumentum ad hominem

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:56 am

=D> =D> =D> Brilliant =D> a bit too near the truth for some I suspect
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:08 am

Erm...no. But then that is the beauty of an open mind, being able to appreciate parody even if you are a craft-wanker.

Last edited by Sadfield on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:12 am

DaveGillespie wrote:
Turbid beers are generally considered unacceptable, however they're polished for presentation and marketed
Hefeweizen, anyone?
I have never drunk a Hefe that tasted like hop soup but I suppose that will change when the Punks and or the Mercans start meddling.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:56 am

Wow you are so far behind the curve it is untrue. Hop soups? Competition to make the hoppiest beer? The Mercans (Flying Dog) and Brewdog mocked themselves over this in 2012 with a Gruit IPA called International Arms Race.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:36 am

The craft 'arms race' simply reflects a dire lack of ideas in a very competitive environment. Simply adding more and more of something ruins a product. Post postmodernists doomed to fail.

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:53 am

McMullan wrote:Simply adding more and more of something ruins a product.
By that rational, Carling should be one of the best beers in the world and Harveys Imperial Double Stout should be a poorer beer than Guinness.

Have you seen the hopping rates of beers from the mid 1800s?

Anyhow, I thought you had conceded that these beers 'apparently' taste good and it was appearance that was the issue?

Your are also returning to the narrow minded assumption that if you brew these hoppy beers, you can't or don't brew anything else.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:46 am

'By that rational, Carling should be one of the best beers in the world and Harveys Imperial Double Stout should be a poorer beer than Guinness.' I didn't type that. You imagined it.

Back to lupulin powder. If it reduces the pressure on hop supplies (created by outlandish, self-styled ‘craft brewers’), that would be a very good thing. If it reduces the turbidity of their over hopped beverages, that seems to be viewed as a good thing too, at least it does in the tiny market for over hopped beverages. If it compares to bittering and flavouring beer using whole hops, and doesn’t increase the costs significantly, that might be a good thing too. Until then, I plan to continue using whole hops (sensibly), because that seems to work well for the clarity and flavour of my beers, even when 'brewery fresh'.

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:33 pm

McMullan wrote:'By that rational, Carling should be one of the best beers in the world and Harveys Imperial Double Stout should be a poorer beer than Guinness.' I didn't type that. You imagined it.

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Sadfield wrote:
McMullan wrote:'By that rational, Carling should be one of the best beers in the world and Harveys Imperial Double Stout should be a poorer beer than Guinness.' I didn't type that. You imagined it.

I wrote that as a response to your point that more ingredients equates to poorer beer.