Lupulin Powder

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
McMullan

Re: Lupulin Powder

Post by McMullan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:10 pm

'Simply adding more and more of something ruins a product.' I'm sure Harvey's and others know when to stop :D

Ulsterman

Post by Ulsterman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:07 pm

Every man has a right to his opinion and every man has a right to his beer! :beer:

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:23 am

Matt in Birdham wrote:This stuff looks rather amazing.. http://scottjanish.com/lupulin-powder-v ... xperiment/
I have a lot of time for Scott Janish and his blog, so if he says this stuff is the dogs danglies then I am willing to believe it. Available to home brewers (in the US at least) from the summer, apparently..
Brewuk say that'll have some later this year.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:43 am

IPA wrote:
DaveGillespie wrote:
Turbid beers are generally considered unacceptable, however they're polished for presentation and marketed
Hefeweizen, anyone?
I have never drunk a Hefe that tasted like hop soup but I suppose that will change when the Punks and or the Mercans start meddling.
Definitely turbid, though.

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:26 am

Malt Miller getting some of this in too.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:11 pm

Does anyone know if any of the commercial brewery suppliers like Farams have it?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:18 pm

It looks like a strategy to exploit and profiteer out of those who don't know how to brew beer. It's going to be more expensive than whole hops. It's probably a wasteful process, leading to even more shortages, to bump up prices even more. It's bollocks essentially. The home brewer now funds the economy =D>

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:38 pm

McMullan wrote:It looks like a strategy to exploit and profiteer out of those who don't know how to brew beer. It's going to be more expensive than whole hops. It's probably a wasteful process, leading to even more shortages, to bump up prices even more. It's bollocks essentially. The home brewer now funds the economy =D>
The lady doth protest too much, methinks!

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Your money... :lol:

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Do you think that the homebrew market drives hop product development?

So, who does know how to brew beer?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:40 pm

I find this hilarious reading about peoples aminosity around styles of beer! People have of course different tastes but I have to laugh at how serious people on here (and on other sites, social media etc) who want to slate and ridicule others as they like to use more (or less) hops than the said persons style of beer.

This thread is full of patronising posts where the product or even style in question is something that said posters will not even explore in any great detail. There can be great hop forward beers as well as awful attempts, to class them as 'hop soup' in generic terms is laughable and quite frankly naive if not ignorant. I may not like a particular stout for example but then could love another, it is like many other things in that way where you have variety and choice! I don't have a local iron monger with enhanced taste senses to try my attempts but I can run it past my mate who used to be local and is a <insert generic profession> of some sort (because their profession counts right) who has good tastebuds for an honest opinion...

Seriously though, the article itself is interesting and factual whilst opening up to the new technologies and capabilites that producers and suppliers will look to.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:24 am

Sadfield wrote:Do you think that the homebrew market drives hop product development?
The humble home brewer is far from being a small competitor these days. As the tradition has grown, collectively, he’s become a global player. He's probably bigger competition than the self-styled crafty 'brewers'. This hasn’t gone unnoticed, for example. When corporations dictate what is available and at what price, the home brewer will suffer :twisted:

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:27 am

Rhodesy, I made two IPAs the other week. An English recipe and an American recipe. Despite being dry hopped, both will drop bright in 4-5 weeks, before being offered for consumption. Whole hops work absolutely fine. What needs fixing? If anyone wishes to pay a high premium for a redundant hop product, that’s their choice. However, if the hop product being promoted here intensifies the pressure that already exists on hop supplies, home brewers might have to sacrifice the freedom to brew any style, due to potential shortages being created by processing whole hops to produce an expensive product ‘everyone needs’.

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:29 am

McMullan wrote:Rhodesy, I made two IPAs the other week. An English recipe and an American recipe. Despite being dry hopped, both will drop bright in 4-5 weeks, before being offered for consumption. Whole hops work absolutely fine. What needs fixing? If anyone wishes to pay a high premium for a redundant hop product, that’s their choice. However, if the hop product being promoted here intensifies the pressure that already exists on hop supplies, home brewers might have to sacrifice the freedom to brew any style, due to potential shortages being created by processing whole hops to produce an expensive product ‘everyone needs’.
Still failing to grasp the nettle, I see. If you conventionally dry hop an IPA it will drop clear, all NEIPA brewers understand this and are capable of doing it. West Coast IPAs and NEIPAs have similar hopping rates, it is a shift in when those hops are used that makes the difference, from bitterness to aroma, so claims of over-hopping are a little hypocritical. If you dry hop a beer during active fermentation using the same hops type and quantities, and have used the appropriate yeast, you will get a different range of flavours do to hop oil compound bio-transformation by the yeast. You get bio-transformation of geraniol to ß-citronellol and also hydrolysis of non-aromatic glycosides into aromatic terpenoids. The side effect of this is a turbid beer, the upside other than a juicier, fruity flavour profile, is that due to the yeasts oxygen consumption and activity, you get less oxidisation (whole hop cones float due to the oxygen containing air trapped within the layers of bract) and a greater mixing effect resulting in more aroma, which can be used to make dry hopping more hop efficient. Lupulin powder improves this further by being more efficient and less hazy. However, I'm sure you have researched all this though, being a better brewer of less soupy beers.
Last edited by Sadfield on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:58 am

NEIPA is a recent ‘discovery’ that clearly deviates from what is generally accepted as being a key characteristic of the IPA style. Apparently they taste great. They don’t look great, though.
McMullan
“You can, and should try to, educate consumers about the merits of good beer, and the best way for people to like a beer you enjoy, and respect, is to drink it. But for some people, their prejudice won’t allow them to taste, and like, a good beer. And you can’t win with people like that. I don’t know many of those types as there’s not a huge amount of them, thankfully,”
John Keeling, Head brewer at Fuller's