Yeast for Raspberry Wheat beer.

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
JohnRB
Tippler

Yeast for Raspberry Wheat beer.

Post by JohnRB » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:41 pm

The next brew will a raspberry wheat beer based on the Greg Hughes' Home Brew Beer recipe (wheat malt, pilsner malt and Challenger hops). Problem is I can't easily get hold of Wyeast 1010 and plan to use Safale US05, for its clean profile, as an alternative. Any thoughts please?

k1100t
Piss Artist

Re: Yeast for Raspberry Wheat beer.

Post by k1100t » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:00 pm

How about Mangrove Jacks Belgian Wit M21 Yeast, or culture one up from bottle dregs...? Although if you're after something clean, then maybe ferment it at a low temperature; I'm not familiar with Wyeast 1010...
I like beer --- Currently rebuilding the brewery, this time with stainless...

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:29 pm

I made that recipe using WLP400 to good effect. It went absolutely apeshit though when the raspberries were added; more than likely got a wild yeast into the bargain. Raspberry seeds plus an active yeast can fairly plug an airlock - suggest leaving it out!

Also don't expect to be blown away by raspberry flavour, I'd probaby up the quantity if making it again.

Good luck!

Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:31 pm

+1 for wlp400 is a favorite of mine.

For a wheat beer you would want to get some yeasty flavor as well so mangrove Jack M20 or wlp300 or Safbrew WB-06 but it your putting a lot of raspberry's in it then you might not get the yeasty taste anyway as it will hide it so US-05 might be worth trying.

I am not familiar with that recipe but I aim for 400g of raspberry's per 5 liters which gives a good raspberry flavor for my taste. I boiled up the frozen raspberry for 10 mins, cooled and add to the secondery. if I want a raspberry wheat I normally bottle half of it after primary (ie before adding raspberry's) then add the raspberries to the secondery and bottle that, 2 beers for one batch.

JohnRB
Tippler

Post by JohnRB » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:07 pm

Gents,

Thanks for your replies and advice. The yeasts that suggested would probably produce a more interesting beer but this is my first brew with 45% (or more) wheat malt so I wanted a clean yeast to expose any shortcomings in technique. For that reason I might stick with 05 and be more adventurous on the next brew.

The recipe calls for 2.5kg of raspberries which is consistent with Fuzzy's brew. Incidenatlly, Iceland have a good deal on frozen raspberries at the moment: 75p for 350grams.

Thanks again,

John.

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Ooh that's interesting about the Iceland raspberries.

I think using a clean yeast sounds like a good bet to let the raspberries shine. I don't think I've had a beer with raspberries
before, so would be curious to hear how it goes.

Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:17 pm

JohnRB wrote: Iceland have a good deal on frozen raspberries at the moment: 75p for 350grams.
Thanks for the info. There normally a couple of quid each so time to stock up.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:54 am

I made a Strawberry wheat with WLP400 - went down a storm. Although I added 8L (in a 180l batch) of strawberry puree to the fermenter after crash cooling, left it for a few days then racked it into kegs which never got above 5*C so had no extra fermenting issues.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Tue May 02, 2017 10:10 am

Fuzzy wrote: if I want a raspberry wheat I normally bottle half of it after primary (ie before adding raspberry's) then add the raspberries to the secondery and bottle that, 2 beers for one batch.
Not a bad shout, as much as I enjoyed it I was ready to see the back of it after 23L (and it failing to convert my other half to beer as planned!).

JohnRB
Tippler

Post by JohnRB » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:42 am

That's the first bottle opened. It looks and smells fantastic but the taste is a little one dimensional. As I'd hoped using US05 it's very clean but it's missing much of the wheat beer estery character. Swirling the sediment in didn't make for any improvement.

I'll certainly brew this again but will be looking at other yeasts to give a bit more depth.

Thanks to all who replied to initial post.

John.