Adjusting pH

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Adjusting pH

Post by Meatymc » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:52 pm

I know there has been a load of comments on here about this subject but I haven't been able to find an 'idiot's guide version' so perhaps you can help.

I'm in North Yorkshire and according to our suppliers the pH (Hydrogen Ion Conc.) recorded for my postcode is 7.3 which seems a lot higher than the target pH I come across on recipes I'd like to try.

What is the simplest/easiest/cheapest way to at least get close to the 5.1 - 5.5 level I keep reading about and at what stage do you 'treat' the water - pre-boil?

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Adjusting pH

Post by Sadfield » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:09 pm

The 5.1 - 5.5 ph range is for the mash mixture of grains and water, not your source water from the tap.

Try these links for more info.

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/mashing.htm

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/water_treatment.htm

[url]http://forum.craft%20brewing.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=907[/url]

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:35 am

Cheers Sadfield.

I've always tended to search threads for info' and hadn't realised the depth of info' on the site but outside the forum. I don't want to get anal on this topic - clearly there is quite a bit to understand to grasp the whole concept of treatment. At least now I've some clarity I can do some simple checks to see whether my basic water supply is something that might benefit from a bit of 'tweaking'.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:59 am

Meatymc wrote:Cheers Sadfield.

I've always tended to search threads for info' and hadn't realised the depth of info' on the site but outside the forum. I don't want to get anal on this topic - clearly there is quite a bit to understand to grasp the whole concept of treatment. At least now I've some clarity I can do some simple checks to see whether my basic water supply is something that might benefit from a bit of 'tweaking'.
A good place to start is with a reliable water analysis. If you PM Wallybrew on here, he can provide you with one. If you then post the results on here we should be able to help.
Best wishes

Dave

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Recently on another forum I was advised of this link which, while out of date, gives detail of the water in your area. If the mean levels of minerals are to be believed, they suggest alkalinity (the component that has most influence of mash pH) will be of the order of 120mg/l as calcium carbonate to have an adverse effect on brewing. This will be particularly so for pale beers and the amount of calcium present is at a bear miimum for ales such that suitable water treatment will likely make a significant difference.

First step should be to measure alkalinity. which can be done with the likes of a Salifert kit.

As advised, pH of your supply is usually of no relevance.
Last edited by Eric on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:48 pm

Or you could try Brew UK for an analysis of your water. The report would not only tell you the composition of your water, but also give you recommendations on how to treat it for bitters, milds, porters, lagers etc.

Guy

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Meatymc wrote:I know there has been a load of comments on here about this subject but I haven't been able to find an 'idiot's guide version' so perhaps you can help.

I'm in North Yorkshire and according to our suppliers the pH (Hydrogen Ion Conc.) recorded for my postcode is 7.3 which seems a lot higher than the target pH I come across on recipes I'd like to try.

What is the simplest/easiest/cheapest way to at least get close to the 5.1 - 5.5 level I keep reading about and at what stage do you 'treat' the water - pre-boil?
Your question appears to me to be about the pH of your tap water rather than your mash pH requirement, is that right?
If so your concern is misplaced. The pH of your starting water is irrelevant to water treatment. What really matters is alkalinity levels. High alkalinity in water acts as a buffer, resisting the natural fall in pH caused by the acidification of the grains in the mash. If it is too high the grains need some help, usually by using acid or proprietary products like CRS, Americans and German brewers tied to Reinheitsgebot Purity Laws use acidified malt. The starting point for this journey is a proper brewers water report and WallyBrew is your man
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Cheers guys. I've 'pm'd WB