Issues with a brew

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Bigbud78
Piss Artist

Issues with a brew

Post by Bigbud78 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:19 am

Made up a Mosaic brew recently, during kegging I tried some and it had a metallic acidy aftertaste which was not nice. After two weeks in the keg and carbed, on pouring it has a inital vinegar type smell which clears and it tastes, well strange. I cant put my finger on it and now im struggling to know if it is the beer or placebo (me thinking to much about it) :O

I'm currently deciding weather to pull it out the fridge and let it sit for a few weeks or just tip it and just brew another beer. I've only three kegs and would want to get it filled with drinkable beer asasp :/

I used the same equipment and same techniques ive used for my last few brews and the day went well but I did however try water treatment. I fermented with rehydrated US-05 which didnt seem to get going for a few days and finished in 4-5 days, this is not normal for my brews as there is usually activity in 24 hours and takes 7 days.

I've made another brew, a chinook ipa with simialr grain bill and same water treatment and out of the FV it tastes bloody lovely.

Trying to isolate the issue, grain, hops or as I believe maybe an issue with the yeast ? if anyone wants to risk a try of it I could send a bottle out :lol:

Any Thoughts ?

Thanks
Jim

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Issues with a brew

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Sounds (sadly) like an infection. Taking that long for the fermentation to get going is always very worrisome. On the occasions I've chucked a brew away it's always been when it's taken a few days to get going.

It's a hard choice, but throwing it and starting a new brew is probably the best option. You'll need to clean and sanitise your fermenter extremely well before using it, plus do the same to your keg. It's a real pain, but has to be done.

All the best.

Guy

Bigbud78
Piss Artist

Post by Bigbud78 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:10 pm

guypettigrew wrote:Sounds (sadly) like an infection. Taking that long for the fermentation to get going is always very worrisome. On the occasions I've chucked a brew away it's always been when it's taken a few days to get going.

It's a hard choice, but throwing it and starting a new brew is probably the best option. You'll need to clean and sanitise your fermenter extremely well before using it, plus do the same to your keg. It's a real pain, but has to be done.

All the best.

Guy
Thanks for commenting :D but

urrghhh, didnt want to hear that lol I always give my fv a good clean with oxy and a soak in star san so maybe thats why it sorted for the next one [-o<

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:24 pm

Bigbud78 wrote:
Thanks for commenting :D but

urrghhh, didnt want to hear that lol I always give my fv a good clean with oxy and a soak in star san so maybe thats why it sorted for the next one [-o<
That's the FV sorted, then. Don't forget to do the keg as well.

Really annoys me when I see a brew not starting after <24 hours. It rarely happens but, when it does, it's almost certainly for the drain.

Good luck with the next one.

Guy

charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by charliemartin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:14 am

I had a few infections recently and I normally use oxy to clean and starsan to sanitise. To be sure you get rid of the infection I would soak with diluted thin bleach, followed by lots of rinsing with hot water and starsan to finish. Nothing worse than having to pour a brew down the sink.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Altonrea Homebrew

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:04 pm

charliemartin wrote:I had a few infections recently and I normally use oxy to clean and starsan to sanitise. To be sure you get rid of the infection I would soak with diluted thin bleach, followed by lots of rinsing with hot water and starsan to finish. Nothing worse than having to pour a brew down the sink.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Using a Campden tablet (sodium metabisulphate) after bleaching will cut down on the rinsing.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk