Grapefruit extract

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
soupdragon
Under the Table

Grapefruit extract

Post by soupdragon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi all

Has anybody used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400984157414 this type of stuff in their beers? I know Rob sells cold pressed extract but I'm wondering what's the difference between it and this as it's also cold pressed. It's listed as being good for digestion and the immune system which would imply that it's suitable for food use not just for aromatherapy.

Cheers. Tom

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Grapefruit extract

Post by orlando » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:25 am

soupdragon wrote:Hi all

Has anybody used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400984157414 this type of stuff in their beers? I know Rob sells cold pressed extract but I'm wondering what's the difference between it and this as it's also cold pressed. It's listed as being good for digestion and the immune system which would imply that it's suitable for food use not just for aromatherapy.

Cheers. Tom
I don't know the answer to your question but some of the unsubstantiated claims made about it put it in "snake oil" territory. For example:

It has an uplifting effect on the mood and helps with stress and depression. It is used with great success to combat muscle fatigue and stiffness while stimulating the lymphatic system and thereby clearing the body of toxins. It helps to clear congested oily skin and also assists with acne, while toning the skin and tissues. Grapefruit is used in hair care to promote hair growth.

Ignoring that, I will watch the thread with some interest if you go for it. :D
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:13 am

That kind of description is always taken with a pinch of salt :lol:
If it's cold pressed peel then it should be ok to use. It's listed as 100% grapefruit oil so no iffy additives. I've contacted the seller for more info but am still awaiting a reply.

Cheers. Tom

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:47 pm

Not certain about this, but I think the essential oils used in aromatherapy are the plant extract (grapefruit in this case) mixed in with a carrier oil. For example jojoba or sweet almond.

So, although this may be 100% grapefruit--meaning no other citrus fruits--you may find it's only about 5-10% concentration in the carrier oil.

If this is the case, then putting it in your beer wouldn't be a good idea!

Ask the seller which oil it's in.

Guy

Edit. Rob's grapefruit extract is only £3.50. Well worth a try! And it's in ethanol, which means it will disperse easily into your beer.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:34 pm

I did ask him about it but am still waiting for a reply. Doesn't bode well :roll:

Cheers. Tom

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:04 pm

The seller's probably never had a question about using essential oils in beer!!

Treat yourself to a bottle of Rob's stuff. Definitely designed for beer.

Guy

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:04 pm

Finally had a reply.
As suspected it's not fit for human consumption. I'll have to add some to my next order from Rob

Cheers. Tom