Can dry hops be reused

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Chrissyr63
Piss Artist

Can dry hops be reused

Post by Chrissyr63 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:09 pm

So I just did a citra dark and added 100g of citra pellets in a bag for 10 days.
So my question is if the bag is useful for my next brew?
Hear people use some for bittering but 100g seems a bit much so I was more thinking about adding at flame out and steep for 20 mins.

Recipe I was looking at was along the lines of the Greg Hughes the - rye, pale, American hops and kolsch dry yeast.

What is 'left' flavour wise in the bag of dry hops?

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Can dry hops be reused

Post by Haydnexport » Fri May 05, 2017 10:16 pm

I've no idea , but i probably wouldn't risk a brew with them for bittering , but flame out might be ok , still risking infection ?

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat May 06, 2017 7:00 am

Haydnexport wrote:I've no idea , but i probably wouldn't risk a brew with them for bittering , but flame out might be ok , still risking infection ?
The other way round as the boil will kill anything. But frankly I wouldn't bother, as Haydn intimates, you just don't know what you're getting.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Sat May 20, 2017 11:47 am

I did a some experiments a few years back, reusing the late hops to bitter a second brew.
I made a hoppy brew with lots of late hops and reused them in a stout on the same day.
It did work, but it’s pretty much unpredictable & unrepeatable, so if you did make something nice, you wont be able to recreate it. It was ok in the stout, but would have been even better if I had just hopped it to my usual recipe.
My advice is, Don’t bother. Some experiments can just confirm why it’s not common practice.
Choose your ingredients carefully and make the best brew you can.
Norm
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

nastyphoenix

Post by nastyphoenix » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:45 pm

Dry hopping does isomerse the alpha acids; and the hops added at the start of the boil don't contribute much in the way or aromatic oils anyway as they normally evaporate. So as long as you add them straight from the conditioner into the brew kettle, this will work well and save you money! It would be difficult to weigh the hops though, as they will be saturated. One way of doing this would be for example:

You use 100g in the conditioner and need 25g bittering hops, so just use a quarter of the hops from the conditioner :)

tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Post by tourer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:57 pm

Tried this idea myself, with citra and new hops (can't remember the quantities). The beer was nice drinking then wham the bitterness hits the back of the throat and spoilt a good beer. It was worth a try but i wont bother doing it again.