Amber malt in a bitter

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
MrN
Steady Drinker

Amber malt in a bitter

Post by MrN » Fri May 12, 2017 10:36 am

I'm planing a relatively low abv bitter based on GW's Boltmaker recipe. I saw a video where the Timothy Taylor head brewer mentioned using amber malt in Boltmaker and I thought this would be an interesting addition as I've never used this malt before.

Has anyone used amber in this type of beer before? What sort of quantity would work well? Beer will be about 1.040 OG, I was thinking about 3-5%, along with about 5% crystal. I'll probably use the Thomas Fawcett amber, I'd like to be able to taste it but not have it be overpowering.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Amber malt in a bitter

Post by Jocky » Fri May 12, 2017 11:03 am

Have you made the beer without it?

Amber malt is a gentler/subtler brown malt - i.e. very light roasted malt - so it starts taking you in that direction. You probably want it to be subtle, so 3-5% should be in the area, and if you have brewed the same recipe without then it should be apparent.

One thing to note though - the Thomas Fawcett Amber and Crisp Amber malts are quite different. Crisp Amber is much lighter, giving you a flavour that is like a slightly overbaked biscuit. Fawcett is like a light brown malt, giving you a gentle roasted flavour.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

vacant

Post by vacant » Fri May 12, 2017 11:21 am

I brewed 41 ltr of OG 1042 last October:

93% Extra Pale, 6% Amber, 1% Black.
Pilgrim for bittering then Willamette and EKG
1469 West Yorkshire yeast.

BUT, a few years ago I did a series of brews increasing Amber each time until I reached my limit (6% Amber & 5% Crystal). Therefore 3-5% as Jocky says would be a sensible start.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

MrN
Steady Drinker

Post by MrN » Fri May 12, 2017 11:41 am

Jocky wrote:Have you made the beer without it?
I have not brewed this one before. Perhaps I should try adding it to the TT Landlord clone instead, which I've done a few times before. This way it won't get mixed up with the crystal either (it's normally 100% golden promise).

Vacant - which quantity did you like the most and what did you notice as you increased the quantity?

vacant

Post by vacant » Fri May 12, 2017 1:07 pm

I really liked 5%. Worcester Hop Shop mentions "up to 20%". However, while I might like a glass of something extreme every now and then, I wouldn't dream of brewing 20 - 40 ltr.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri May 12, 2017 2:17 pm

I've used 30% of the Crisp in a brown ale before. It was lovely.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.