finings

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

finings

Post by Haydnexport » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi , i think i read here a while ago about classikool gelatine finings, and had them on my ebay watch list for a while, now a few weeks ago i got around to buying some. Now i cant find the post, and have no idea how to use them :shock: :oops: Has anyone used them or similar?

Rhodesy

Re: finings

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:28 pm

I have not used them however a I use a couple of leaf/sheets per Corny and get great results. Just the regular ones from the supermarket for a couple of quid.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:10 am

Haydnexport wrote:Hi , i think i read here a while ago about classikool gelatine finings, and had them on my ebay watch list for a while, now a few weeks ago i got around to buying some. Now i cant find the post, and have no idea how to use them :shock: :oops: Has anyone used them or similar?
If it's gelatine dissolve in warm water and add to the beer when fermentation has finished. Preferably in the secondary. Pour into the beer,no need to stir, and it will sink to the bottom to form a thin layer. Leave another three days before bottling or barreling. Or transfer to another vessel if you are going to bulk prime.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:15 am

Half a teaspoon or half a sheet of gelatin (for 15-25 litres) in a small amount of water (100-200ml) that has boiled and then cooled down to 70-80c.

Stir it in so there's no visible bits, and then pour into chilled beer, giving a slight stir to help mix it in.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:30 am

Classikool is what I used, just about to get more. My method:

1 tsp in 200ml cool water
Cover and leave to bloom for 20 mins.
Stir then blast in the microwave for 15 seconds at a time, stiring inbetween, until dissolved. Make sure you don't get it too hot. Just enough to dissolve.

Tip in the cold fermenter/ keg. Bright in approx 2 / 3 days.

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:06 pm

brill alex , thanks. For what type of volume would that do?

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:42 am

20L/23L no problem.

BigMouth
Steady Drinker

Post by BigMouth » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:30 am

Exactly what Alex says. I do the same and it has improved my beers. The sediment dropped in secondary is amazing with this stuff.

Ensure you add it to really cold beer. I add mine to 1C beer in the garage fridge a few days into secondary.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:04 am

I add gelatine into 6.5C beer and still get great results.

It's magic stuff and I am noticing some interesting side effects in the beer, that are beyond clarity aesthetics. I notice better head retention, and it improves crispness in the taste.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:36 pm

1c for me. Speeds up force carbonation too. I also agree that beers seem more crisp. Really does make a lager very bright.