Does it matter what I use for a bittering hop?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Does it matter what I use for a bittering hop?

Post by orlando » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:04 pm

RobP wrote:
orlando wrote:A proper English IPA is more about hop flavour than hop aroma. Looking at The Durden Park Beer Circle recipes there is very little emphasis on hops other than at the beginning of the boil. Dry hopping is mentioned as "if required". So all the bittering and flavour comes from the hops going into the start of the boil.
So, just to be clear on this, you're advocating not using bittering only hops for this style? If so, I mostly agree with you.
Historic IPA recipes often had 30 minute hops additions and small quantities of dry hopping in the cask but your assertion is generally correct. We must consider, though, what would historic brewers have done with the style had they access to the variety of hops available now?
Correct. Just making the point that flavour comes from the hop so choice of hop is important. Take Target for example, I find this a very harsh hop but if you use shed loads and allow the resulting beer to mature for 6 months the harshness resolves to something far more acceptable. So the answer to the question "can you use any old hop?" is the usual, it depends on the hop and whether you are interested in hop flavour or just the influence of finishing hops. As for your last musing there are brewery records showng that a lot of breweries used US hops for bittering because the UK hop yards just couldn't produce enough, particulary if their was a harvest problem, often used as bittering because of the high AA. They were regarded then as being a little too pungent, but not in a good way, how times change.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

RobP

Post by RobP » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:02 pm

Strangely, my very next beer (in a couple of weeks) is going to be a copy of the 1869 Simonds SB from Ron Pattinson's "Vintage Beers" book. I got hold of some Chevallier Heritage pale malt for it. It's 100% Pale malt, Cluster hops (the closest available American hop variety) for 60 mins, EKG for 30 mins. Really interested to see how it turns out.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3CS ... sb&f=false

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Just to add I really like the harsh bitterness of target and think its the most under rated hop especially since its one of the cheapest, it also works well as a late hop even though its considered a pure bittering hop.
And just to confirm yes it does matter what bittering hop you use.

patwestlake
Steady Drinker

Post by patwestlake » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:54 pm

First off, as OP, I'd like to thank everyone for their contributions - great discussion.

Following on from the last few comments regarding late additions for flavour vs IBU etc , have a read of the following!

https://www.morebeer.com/category/secre ... lavor.html

"Several homebrewers have reported that after switching a recipe to all late hops, they experienced this effect. David Sousa reports, “The bitterness seemed more rounded and less angular than a regularly bittered beer.”

...must be time for some experimental brews!

Thanks and regards,

Pat
FV : #99 Highway to Helles (Munich Helles)
Next up - #100 Farmhouse in Your Soul (Saison)

Drinking :
#98 Bells Light Hearted (3.9% IPA)
#97 Decadence 64 (Mosaic IPA)
#96 Wicked Weasel (Fursty Ferret Clone)
#95 Penarth Gold (Loweswater Gold Clone)
#94 Cheeseburger Cavalry (US IPA)

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:09 am

Yes, thats kind of what i was getting at earlier. Though keep in mind that not all beers/styles would be suited to the flavour associated with large quantities of late hops; some want mostly just some bittering from the hops (or some balance between).
Kev