Lambic/sour

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
chrisseej

Lambic/sour

Post by chrisseej » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:31 am

I have managed to get a litre starter cultured from 2 bottles of Lindemans Gueuze, not sure what to do with it now. Could I use this to ferment a 5 gallon batch or do I need to add it later in fermentation using a yeast?

Cheers

chris2012
Under the Table

Re: Lambic/sour

Post by chris2012 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:53 pm

Cool, I'd be curious to hear what you do, I assume it was from the
Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René that you're talking about?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=236479 has a little bit of info of people culturing the dregs from it.

wilfh
Piss Artist

Post by wilfh » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:12 pm

I would get it fermenting as normal with something like Windsor which is low attenuating and then add your culture mid fermentation. Give it some time- remember the lambic producers keep their brews for up to three years.
Good luck.
Wilf

chrisseej

Post by chrisseej » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:11 pm

Hi, after doing a bit if research I am not clear if lindemans pasteurize their beer then add a yeast to bottle condition or not.
I have transferred the starter into a 5 litre demijohn with some 1.06 wort. Its off well good krausen looks like a normal ferment, the starter tasted absolutely vile I was getting farmyard manure, burnt plastic, horse poo, rotten veg. But like a really strong chese somewhere amongst the vileness there is something that could be nice. I think I will leave in the back of cupboard for a few months and forget about it, I live in hope.

Cheers

rlemkin
Sober

Post by rlemkin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:54 pm

They're not sgood flavour descriptors are they. I was under the impression that they pasteurise all their beer, but I could be wrong! Worth trying again with something from Boon/3F/Cantillon. I think the Mad Fermentationist has a reasonable list of what sour/wild ale is pasteurised that is a reasonable jumping off point.

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:06 pm

If you're getting those nasty whiffs from your starter id ditch it, Defo check out mad fermentationist website, the hard work for which are the best to culture from dregs is all done. As for your 1st question i concur with Wilf, use an ale yeast with mid attenuation to ferment originally and the pitch cultured dregs after the krausen has dropped. i would also add some maltodextrin and mash low so the bretts, lacto's and pedio's have something to nosh on.........