Cloudiness when opening

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Cloudiness when opening

Post by sbond10 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:46 am

Just tried one of my beers and its crystal clear when sitting still but when I opened it, it threw the yeast into suspension. Now this wouldn't normally be an issue but a case of these is going to my friends party and although I know theres nothing wrong with um. In fact the beers one of the best I've done. Is there anything that can be done to sort this partys in 4 weeks and I don't really wanna open bottles.

The facts
Sg 1.043
Fg1.012 finished slightly higher than expected 1.010
Yeast crossmyloof real ale (notts)
Priming sugar 80g over 21 litres
Fermented at 18 then crash chilled for 48hrs

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Re: Cloudiness when opening

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:39 am

Notty usually compacts well. I can only suggest that with the higher than expected FG they are over carbonated. Bit late I know as you have already bottled but Notty can finish as low as 1006. Try and make sure they are well chilled (6-8C) before serving as this will help.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:56 am

I've not had this issue with Notty, except once when I used gelatin finings in the bottling bucket - I didn't realise at the time that this can de-stabilise the yeast deposit in a bottle (though of course it's fine in a cask or barrel).
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Jim wrote:I've not had this issue with Notty, except once when I used gelatin finings in the bottling bucket - I didn't realise at the time that this can de-stabilise the yeast deposit in a bottle (though of course it's fine in a cask or barrel).
Best to fine in the secondary. That way the gelatine and trapped yeast are left behind when transferring to the bottling bucket.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:49 pm

IPA wrote:
Jim wrote:I've not had this issue with Notty, except once when I used gelatin finings in the bottling bucket - I didn't realise at the time that this can de-stabilise the yeast deposit in a bottle (though of course it's fine in a cask or barrel).
Best to fine in the secondary. That way the gelatine and trapped yeast are left behind when transferring to the bottling bucket.
Yes. I don't use finings at all now if I intend to bottle - I do add them to the pressure barrel though.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:21 pm

How about opening them all to release the excess pressure, then recapping them?

Tedious, but might solve the immediate problem.

Guy

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:53 pm

I think my only option is to suck it up and call it cloudly bitter and serve in pink cups-I think ive just started a new trend

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:06 pm

Could storing the bottles very close to 0C, cause the yeast to compact in the bottle, I've no idea if that'd work, just wondering what people think?

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:17 pm

Yea im wondering if basically putting them into lager type storage will help

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:36 am

sbond10 wrote:I think my only option is to suck it up and call it cloudly bitter and serve in pink cups-I think ive just started a new trend
Too late it's been around for a while now. Try a bottle of Youngs Special London Ale for an example.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:06 am

IPA wrote:
sbond10 wrote:I think my only option is to suck it up and call it cloudly bitter and serve in pink cups-I think ive just started a new trend
Too late it's been around for a while now. Try a bottle of Youngs Special London Ale for an example.

Damn guess I'll have to go for flowery cups then

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:35 pm

Just a quick update ive popped a spare bottle i had and it fobbed massiavly so yea theres an over carbonation issue.
So next plan is see how this open develops over next week after pressure release then chill the remainder down to zero and recap if the first one clears ok after its recapping

yourbrew

Post by yourbrew » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:13 pm

[quote="sbond10"]Just a quick update ive popped a spare bottle i had and it fobbed massiavly so yea theres an over carbonation issue.
So next plan is see how this open develops over next week after pressure release then chill the remainder down to zero and recap if the first one clears ok after its recapping[/quote]

Just bare in mind that oxidation is also something to look out for. My best bet would also be chilling them very cold and serving them very carefully. Next batch I'd wait for the FG gets even lower.

Let us know what happens!

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:38 am

Yea im thinking either

1)serve superchill ed
2)man up it tastes good just looks shit
3) recap and hope it works
4) admit I [censored] up and the batch is lost