Chilling small batches?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Chilling small batches?

Post by aamcle » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:46 pm

I have three more 5 gallon batches to brew and then I'll probably have enough beer to last to years end so I'm considering doing a few 10 litre batches or maybe even 5 litres depending on how quickly the stocks fall.

I have some choice about the equipment I use, Kettle RIMS or Tea Urn BIAB so the hot side as far as the boil is no problem but I usually cool the wort with a 10M CFC which seems wasteful and over the top for a small batch.

I have an idea but I'm concerned about increasing the risk of contamination :-

Set up a sanitised FV in a empty trug, run the hot wort into the FV and add cold water to the trug.
I'd probably cover the mouth of the FV with a StarSan soaked cloth to keep the nasties out, when it had cooled to 60 °C or so move it to the fridge and pitch the yeast the next day.

What do you think?

The other easy option is No Chill but that does introduce issues with hop forward brews.

I've No Chilled from time to time but never small batches or hoppy beers so even though I've used the method and read a lot about it I remain uncertain that it is the best way forward.

Your thoughts please gent's ( n ladies if any) Thanks aamcle

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Chilling small batches?

Post by Sadfield » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:40 pm

Can you not make a immersion chiller and tailor it to your vessel and boil volume. I often do 10L batches an made the one in this picture for less than £25.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:57 pm

The thing I didn't mention is that to use a CFC or IC I have to run hoses right across my back garden so although I use them when I must I'd prefer not to.

aamcle

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:21 pm

If you have a suitable stockpot with lid or sanitised clingfilm, putting that in a sink full of iced water should chill it pretty quickly.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:43 pm

Ahh bother it, I'll just No Chill and take my chances with the hops.

Although a reverse blowoff tube and some sort of filter is an interesting idea, I'll give it some thought,

aamcle

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:42 pm

glad you came to that conclusion 'cause statements like this
aamcle wrote:No Chill but that does introduce issues with hop forward brews.
are just incitement! :lol:

nochill improved my hop forward beers. i don't wanna discuss it. it works for me. hope you can find a manageable solution too 'cause however it changes your brews it's gotta be better than not brewing! 8)
dazzled, doused in gin..

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:20 pm

jaroporter wrote:glad you came to that conclusion 'cause statements like this
aamcle wrote:No Chill but that does introduce issues with hop forward brews.
are just incitement! :lol:

nochill improved my hop forward beers. i don't wanna discuss it. it works for me. hope you can find a manageable solution too 'cause however it changes your brews it's gotta be better than not brewing! 8)
Go read https://aussiehomebrewer.com/ on No Chill hundreds of posts, page after page and no firm conclusions, most annoying!!

Do you add your late hops into the cube? some do some don't.

aamcle

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:19 pm

uh, think i'll pass on that.. :=P

it's just learning to drive your rig, really. i wont pretend that a big part of nochill for me isn't convenience and laziness that would otherwise stop me brewing. but seeing it as a problem i think is the wrong way of looking at it - i could claim that chilling introduces problems in hop forward beers as i suddenly have to add more hops at different times and still struggle to get the same depth of flavour i do with nochill.. :wink:

most of the time if i'm going for big hop flavour and low bitterness then yeah most go direct in the cube, below 90C.
dazzled, doused in gin..