Mash Volumes

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
private4587
Tippler

Mash Volumes

Post by private4587 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:35 pm

I am about to embark on a RIS(brew tomorrow) I took the recipe from his book and entered it through Brewsmith, taking the quantity of malts and hops from that. So all malts ground and water treated ready for the boil tomorrow. It was when i was getting the mash water ready when i noticed that the amount is 25.5l followed by two sparges of 7.5l. My mash tun is only got a limit of 26l which is entered into my equipment in beer smith. There is a 2.5 litre space below my false bottom and i am wondering if this has not been capture by beer smith. Could i just with max amount of water that i can get into the mash tun along with grain bill and then add left over water to the two sparges. Hope someone can assist has it is all set to go in the morning. Thanks in advance

BackO'Th'Shed

Re: Mash Volumes

Post by BackO'Th'Shed » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:40 pm

You could try a reiterated mash. Split your grain into two mashes, mash the first as usual then for the second, use the wort from the first mash rather then water. Should help with the capacity issues and should get a better efficiency.