brewing with fresh hops

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
skyblue67
Sober

brewing with fresh hops

Post by skyblue67 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:09 pm

I have a decent quantity of Prima Donna (aka First Gold) hops growing in the garden so I'm thinking of brewing a wet hop beer. Has anyone got any recipes or tips?
My recipes and other drivel here http://boringbrownbeer.blogspot.co.uk/

IPA
Under the Table

Re: brewing with fresh hops

Post by IPA » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:54 pm

skyblue67 wrote:I have a decent quantity of Prima Donna (aka First Gold) hops growing in the garden so I'm thinking of brewing a wet hop beer. Has anyone got any recipes or tips?
Use four times as much as you would with dried hops
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:06 pm

I brewed the beer below with a green hopped fuggle last year. Hops as below for simcoe on bittering then armfulls of fuggle at 10, 5 and flameout.

I went with 5:1 on the ratios of wet equivalent to dry and it was a bloody lovely beer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

skyblue67
Sober

Post by skyblue67 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks for the replies. That recipe looks good Stewb. I'm going to do something similar, bittering with dried hops and then late additions with fresh hops.
My recipes and other drivel here http://boringbrownbeer.blogspot.co.uk/

IronBlue

Post by IronBlue » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:42 pm

Similar to above, 5 or 6 times the weight of dry hops, and I use Magnum for neutral controlled bittering to get the 'main IBU' where you want it. Then dump in a bucket load of fresh hops in the last 10 minutes. You can still construct a recipe with the green hops, just divide a typical dry Alpha value for your hop type by the 5 or 6 ratio you used and put the full 'green weight' in the recipe. (I have Cascade which is normally about 8%, so I put the green weight in the recipe with an Alpha value of about 8/5=1.6%)

A simple grain bill with a lot of green hops makes my favourite beer of the year.