Feedback on recipe

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Tomp
Steady Drinker

Feedback on recipe

Post by Tomp » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi Folks.

I'm planning a wheat beer this weekend. I'm trying to make a variation on the normal (so something different) inspired by my wife who likes American beers (she is American after all). Wonder what people think to the following:

Aiming for 4.5% ABV, 25 IBU (so not too bitter) with lots of citrus and flowers.

2Kg Maris Otter pale Malt
2Kg Pale Wheat Malt
0.2Kg Crystal Malt

Step mash as follows: 45c for 20 mins, then 66c for 45 mins

20g Amarillo 60 mins

10g Cascades 10 mins
10g Amarillo 10 mins

Ferment using WhiteLabs #WLP320

20g Cascades dry hop in cornikeg

Please be kind - but if I've made a big mistake in the recipe, please let me know (however all disasters still get drunk).....
It started with kits to save money and now look........!!!

Lots of kit, too many ingredients and not enough time, but a patient wife.... who loves my beer...........

Could be worse :-)

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Feedback on recipe

Post by Sadfield » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:10 pm

Smashing.

Although I think the orange from Amarillo would compliment a hefeweizen better than grapefruit from cascade and use Amarillo for dryhopping and Cascade for bittering. Purely personal though.

If you really wanted to throw a curveball you could split ferment and do one half with US05 and heavily dryhop it, to get something similar to 3floyds Gumball Head.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Tomp
Steady Drinker

Post by Tomp » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:54 pm

Sadfield wrote:Smashing.

Although I think the orange from Amarillo would compliment a hefeweizen better than grapefruit from cascade and use Amarillo for dryhopping and Cascade for bittering. Purely personal though.

If you really wanted to throw a curveball you could split ferment and do one half with US05 and heavily dryhop it, to get something similar to 3floyds Gumball Head.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering the same myself - whether to use the cascades for bittering and the Amarillo for aroma. I've used cascades before, but new to Amarillos - so you might be right.

Lots of kit, too many ingredients and not enough time, but a patient wife.... who loves my beer...........

Tomp
Steady Drinker

Post by Tomp » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:21 am

Brew day today and I've updated the recipe following the feedback.

I'm now going to bitter with Cascades and then aroma with Amarillos.

I'll let you know how it goes.