1st attempt at recovered yeast starter

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: 1st attempt at recovered yeast starter

Post by vacant » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:45 pm

This is the third brew I've fermented in a jerrycan in my brew fridge and the first that used the blow-off tube so I thought "I'll have some of that" and collected a jar from the FV using a 100ml syringe for next time.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Well I ended up at 1014 so missed the 5.5% target although being hard on myself with the trial gravity readings. I only did a 75 minute (mash and) boil however and having acheived 42 bottles clearly could have got a higher SG at 90 minutes.

The krausen dropped after 36 hours at 18C with a drop to 16C before bottling - the brew is almost perfectly clear and smells very good. Am experimenting reducing carbo so only 80g in the bottling bucket this time around.

Enjoyed the overall experience and will certainly be doing this one again.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Pleased the samples are tasting good!

I think the PJ (bottle version) goes from around 1.053-1.054 down to 1.011-1.012, for its 5.5%. I guess if you like the cask version anyway, it's all fine.

By the way, how would you describe the esters you've got? American-IPA-clean, slightly British/fruity, etc.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:41 pm

Hi MTW

I'll hold off commenting for now - didn't go to town with the hops on this one as more concerned with the yeast 'experiment' and a high hop element is my preference.

It was certainly 'fruity' and I'd even say a touch 'light' compared to usual but I do have high hopes for this one and am going to at least try and leave alone to mature. Famous last words!!