Graham's Beer Engine

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
The Epworth Brewer

Graham's Beer Engine

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:13 pm

I've been quite happily using this for a few years , but now that I'm moving away from the traditional English bitters I find it a bit short when it comes to putting such as honey into a recipe, or even some of the new world hops. Would I be better off using Beersmith? I'm reluctant to give a go without recommendations as you apparently have to pay for it.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Graham's Beer Engine

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:01 pm

Hops can easily be added to Graham's Beer Engine. The hop editor allows you to add hops and their AA value.

Honey can also be added, if you know its SG. And you must already know this to know how much to add to your wort.

In fact, anything can be added using the 'Editors' tab at the top of the page!

Guy

The Epworth Brewer

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:50 pm

Thanks for that. Never spotted that button. The honey is a bit tricky as it's a jar of wild honey with no info on the label. Also, it's to be added post boil.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:32 am

The Epworth Brewer wrote:Thanks for that. Never spotted that button. The honey is a bit tricky as it's a jar of wild honey with no info on the label. Also, it's to be added post boil.
It's worth asking Graham himself. He helped me when I wanted to add lactose.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

The Epworth Brewer

Post by The Epworth Brewer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:49 am

Interesting. I thought Graham had decided to 'retire' from the scene. I've used honey successfully before as a priming sugar. I think tomorrow I'll maybe add it post boil, about 80c, running the wort off at that temperature onto the honey. Hopefully it will dissolve OK at that and once cooled down I should get an accurate SG. If the SG is too high/low for what I was aiming at I can adjust the grain bill next time.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:47 am

Graeme's had a few health problems lately and I'm not sure if he'd be up for answering questions on his software. He might be bored though!
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:25 pm

The Epworth Brewer wrote:Interesting. I thought Graham had decided to 'retire' from the scene. I've used honey successfully before as a priming sugar. I think tomorrow I'll maybe add it post boil, about 80c, running the wort off at that temperature onto the honey. Hopefully it will dissolve OK at that and once cooled down I should get an accurate SG. If the SG is too high/low for what I was aiming at I can adjust the grain bill next time.
You could of course add a specific weight of sugar to a quantity of water and the same with honey then test the gravity of each and use the result for your calculations.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:03 pm

The Epworth Brewer wrote:Thanks for that. Never spotted that button. The honey is a bit tricky as it's a jar of wild honey with no info on the label. Also, it's to be added post boil.
Also if you are using wild honey it is advisable to pasteurise it at about 80C in some wort for an hour to ensure no wild yeasts survive. You can draw the wort off from your pre-boil volume.
Best wishes

Dave