Hops by the gram

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Hops by the gram

Post by aamcle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:21 am

I've just canceled an order with Geterbrewed as they didn't have all the bits I needed.

My issue is that I need hops in fairly small quantity, I don't want to buy 100g when I need 5g or 20g so other than Geterbrewed were can I buy hops by the gram?

MM only seems to sell 100g packs, I've just tried their recipe builder and backed out when I found I had listed 60 x 100g not 60g just a bit of a hop monster!!!!!!!

Thanks All. aamcle

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Hops by the gram

Post by Manngold » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:37 am

Hi Aamcle.

The Crossmyloof Brewery do smaller bags. Alternatively you can make recipes on the malt miller website and request through the recipe maker smaller amounts of hops.

Hope this helps.

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:52 am

I find the Malt Miller's recipe builder a bit of a faff - would prefer if you could just put the quantity of hops required on the relevant hop page. The recipe section is full of random half filled out recipes which aren't really useful to anyone but the person who created it.
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

beer baron
Tippler

Post by beer baron » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:37 am

Totally agree with the Malt Miller recipe most are not completed or do not have the hops, yeast quantities or brew profile and just clog up the system they do need to sort it out as I do not have the time to sort through all these hundreds of useless recipes. I have tried looking at these but always give up so do not order. It was a good idea but needs to be screened and only complete recipes included. Should be quite simple to include a order form with all the sections to be filled or it will not be added to the recipe section

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:16 am

BrewUK have a recipe builder here https://recipes.brewuk.co.uk/ and you can order just the ingredients you need using it. I've not used it yet but I've bought other things from them online and had a good experience doing so.

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Post by scotsloon » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:19 am

I agree with the above criticism of the MM's recipe builder, not much use if incomplete. Has anybody spoken to Rob about it? Maybe he can stop people posting half assed recipies.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:44 am

i did after my son ordered a kit for me at Christmas it had no hops, Rob said the site was going to be upgraded.

aamcle

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:20 pm

He's definitely mentioned that an upgrade to allow finer ordering is in the works.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

BackO'Th'Shed

Post by BackO'Th'Shed » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:34 pm

I think the MM recipe builder is great when you've designed a recipe and want to order just the amounts of grains and hops that you need (all weighed out so no weighing out different speciality malts on a brew day and no bags of leftover malts I'll probably never use again). I agree the recipes are mostly only useful for whoever created them and it can get clogged up with multiple incomplete recipes. It would be good to be able to delete old recipes (or at least modify them) as I often create a recipe then either make a last minute change as I'm ordering it or make a subtle change the next time I brew it to improve it in one way or another. It has encouraged me to move from leaf to pellet hops when brewing - the leaf hops can only be added in 100g packs whereas you can specify any amount of pellets. I haven't used the Brew UK recipe builder yet, but it does look more comprehensive - does it allow you to order other ingredients, such as lactose, spices and other additions in any quantity? If so that looks to be a big improvement compared to MM which is only malt and hops.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:32 pm

BrewUK have a recipe builder here https://recipes.brewuk.co.uk/ and you can order just the ingredients you need using it. I've not used it yet but I've bought other things from them online and had a good experience doing so.
don't use the recipe Toast it's not complete

aamcle

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:11 pm

I was thinking that you'd enter your own recipe rather than use other people's. Even the maltmiller interface works quite well if you just look at the my recipes section.

One thing to note about the brewuk recipe builder is that it will let you create a recipe that includes ingredients that they do not stock such as sugar or spices. It marks these with a red exclamation mark so you're reminded to obtain these from elsewhere before brewing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:14 pm

The mm recipe builder is so simple to use. It is a builder for you so why expect things to be complete. That is the beauty of it. Got a sack of pale malt, make a recipe without it on the cheap.

BackO'Th'Shed

Post by BackO'Th'Shed » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Just had a play around with the Brew UK recipe builder and it looks like it just adds the grain, hops etc. in the minimum quantities they sell them in i.e. 500g/1kg for malts and 100g for hops. Good for ensuring you have all the ingredients you need, but MM allows you to buy in just the quantities you require.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:10 pm

I went back to Geterbrewed and bought there, the Brew UK recipe builder is good BUT if you put 15g of hops into the recipe and then export it into your shopping basket it's not 15g you are buying but 100g which is the standard pack size. 3.5 kg of grain becomes 3 or 4 depending on some pre-set in their shopping software.

I could not make MM's builder order less than 100g of hops, at one point I had 60 x 100g in the cart .......

I do wish Rob would sort out that site it's a mess.

aamcle

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:17 pm

I think it would make sense for MM to not automatically publish every recipe generated by people using the recipe builder. It's just a monster that's out of control.

I'd just get someone experienced to publish a selection of trusted recipes and occasionally add to it. For those who want to hand pick a recipe rather than generate their own.