Hops by the gram

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Hops by the gram

Post by Manngold » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:56 pm

aamcle wrote:I went back to Geterbrewed and bought there, the Brew UK recipe builder is good BUT if you put 15g of hops into the recipe and then export it into your shopping basket it's not 15g you are buying but 100g which is the standard pack size. 3.5 kg of grain becomes 3 or 4 depending on some pre-set in their shopping software.

I could not make MM's builder order less than 100g of hops, at one point I had 60 x 100g in the cart .......

I do wish Rob would sort out that site it's a mess.

aamcle
You are doing it wrong I think Aamcle. I have managed to order any value I want. You have to use pellets tho. If you try it with pellets I am sure you will be fine.

I also think you are being a bit unfair about the site, sure it takes some getting to used to, but playing around with the recipe creator is actually ok. Just invest a bit of time into it and you will have it doing exactly what you want it to do. Plus you don't have to publish a recipe until you are ready meaning you really can play without anyone seeing anything. I have had no issues with grain or hops. Just wish it would let you add denominations of lead hops under a 100g.

Gold
Last edited by Manngold on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:59 pm

I didn't know that I was trying for whole hops, is it mentioned in the text?

aamcle

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Clibit wrote:I think it would make sense for MM to not automatically publish every recipe generated by people using the recipe builder. It's just a monster that's out of control.
Agree - I think if there was a public/private option when saving the recipe it would largely police itself.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:57 pm

There's always Worcester hop shop. You can submit your own recipe there and as long as they stock the ingredients they'll put it together for you

Cheers. Tom

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:35 pm

Clibit wrote:I think it would make sense for MM to not automatically publish every recipe generated by people using the recipe builder. It's just a monster that's out of control.

I'd just get someone experienced to publish a selection of trusted recipes and occasionally add to it. For those who want to hand pick a recipe rather than generate their own.
If you look on their FB page you will see some shots of their new site and they have sensibly made recipes private. The website is defnitely the area of weakness of the business but it does seem it is being addressed, unfortunately I believe the summer holidays have slowed down it going live a bit (not untypical for a lot of UK businesses).

borischarlton
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by borischarlton » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:11 am

Hi,

The "My Recipe" function on the site has been fantastic but is a victim of its own success!! We have learnt so much from the current functionality and have developed it, or developing it into a far slicker, easier to use system. Our new site goes live 1st week of September and the new "My Recipe" will follow about three weeks later. Really looking forward to what you all think.

Soton

Post by Soton » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:33 am

soupdragon wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:57 pm
There's always Worcester hop shop. You can submit your own recipe there and as long as they stock the ingredients they'll put it together for you

Cheers. Tom
I have been on there website but I can't see anywhere to submit my own recipe, any chance you could give me a link to the page please

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:53 am

If I remember correctly you just need to email them with your recipe and they'll make it up for you.

Cheers. Tom

jinjahbiscuit
Steady Drinker

Post by jinjahbiscuit » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:15 pm

The Home Brew Company do "custom" AG kits. You specify what grain (up to 8kgs), hops (up to 160g) and either dry or liquid yeast. Presently they are offering a dry yeast AG kit for just short of twenty quid.
There are restrictions and you have to be quite specific what you want (hop additions in AA's and times), but it doesn't seem too difficult. If I remember, my first AG brew was from them and I later tried a custom kit.