Contacting brewery for info on their beer

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
dubois

Re: Contacting brewery for info on their beer

Post by dubois » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:30 pm

A few weeks ago I went to an open day at a local brewery where they were selling all their brews at £2 a pint. One of them was superb and I wondered what the recipe was. They were quite open about their hops and as the beer was very blonde I assumed it was pale malt and not much else. I also bought a lottery ticket for a local charity. Two days later I got a phone call to say I had won 5 litres of their porter and had to go to the brewery to pick it up. When I went it was a brew day and I asked a young man about the beer I had so much admired. He was quite open about it. One of the hops was used for bittering to about 28 to 30 EBUs and the other two were for flavour and aroma. The latter accounted for 80% of the total weight of hops and we're added for only the last five minutes of the boil in equal propotions. I found that to be quite amazing but it explained the phenomenal depth of flavour the beer had. They also used a similar quantity of the two flavour hops as dry hops in the fermenter. I found all this information to be a complete revelation and will put it into practice in my next brew. I've devised a recipe that fits perfectly with the all the figures. All this was freely given by the brewers who seemed flattered if anything that someone would want to try to emulate their beer. So it's certainly worth asking. I've been brewing for nearly 40 years and would never have dreamed of using late hopping and dry hopping on that scale. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Contacting brewery for info on their beer

Post by WalesAles » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:05 pm

dub,
When this beer is brewed to your liking, take a couple of bottles back to the Brewery and ask them for a
back to back tasting session.
I did this with one of my beers which I thought tasted like Tiny Rebel`s `Cwtch`. They liked the beer but I had used the
wrong hops! #-o

WA