Contacting brewery for info on their beer

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Re: Contacting brewery for info on their beer

Post by Fuggled Mind » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:43 pm

A few years ago, I asked Hopback for their Winter Lightning recipe. I didn't hear anything for a few months and then out of the blue, I got an email with the recipe and an apology for keeping me waiting. It was fair to say, I was very impressed. The recipe was for several thousand litres but beersmith soon took care of that.
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

MrN
Steady Drinker

Post by MrN » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Fuggled Mind wrote:A few years ago, I asked Hopback for their Winter Lightning recipe. I didn't hear anything for a few months and then out of the blue, I got an email with the recipe and an apology for keeping me waiting. It was fair to say, I was very impressed. The recipe was for several thousand litres but beersmith soon took care of that.
That's a great result. Out of interest, what did you specifically ask for? I'm a bit conscious of sounding a bit too presumptuous if I start asking for every last detail!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:45 pm

MrN wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 pm
How do you know he wasn't able to get the percentages?

Not too fused about precise quantities to be honest, I'd just be interested in any extra info they'd be willing to share.

When the brewery gave percentages it's in the book.
If you are not interested in the exact recipe why ask? As I said Graham's recipe is damn close
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MrN
Steady Drinker

Post by MrN » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:43 pm

I'd be interested in an exact recipe if that's what they're willing to give but any info would be of interest.

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:07 pm

You, may or may not, gain extra points for asking for percentages. Some will just tell you what's in a beer, others may be more detailed. I personally would be more willing if someone asks for further details following an initial enquiry. If you are lucky enough to have a brewer contact you directly, then they are generally more willing than the office bods. Because basically, we're nice people, with a common interest. ;)
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:23 pm

MrN wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:46 pm
Fuggled Mind wrote:A few years ago, I asked Hopback for their Winter Lightning recipe. I didn't hear anything for a few months and then out of the blue, I got an email with the recipe and an apology for keeping me waiting. It was fair to say, I was very impressed. The recipe was for several thousand litres but beersmith soon took care of that.
That's a great result. Out of interest, what did you specifically ask for? I'm a bit conscious of sounding a bit too presumptuous if I start asking for every last detail!

I don't have the copy of what I sent now, only the reply from Steve Wright, the head brewer at Hopback but if I remember, I was honest, said I enjoyed this beer a couple of times when I was back in the UK and would be grateful if they could give me the recipe or at the very least, a couple of pointers. It was the second brewery I'd tried writing to and I didn't expect much back (the first brewery I emailed never got back to me) but the brewery were fantastic. I must confess, I still haven't brewed it, but it's always on my Winter 'to brew' list.
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:28 pm

IPA wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:45 pm
MrN wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 pm
How do you know he wasn't able to get the percentages?

Not too fused about precise quantities to be honest, I'd just be interested in any extra info they'd be willing to share.

When the brewery gave percentages it's in the book.
If you are not interested in the exact recipe why ask? As I said Graham's recipe is damn close
Yes,one of my favourite recipes from Graham's book.A damn good beer that I have brewed many times and its getting that time of the year that another one is due .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

MrN
Steady Drinker

Post by MrN » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:49 pm

FUBAR wrote: Yes,one of my favourite recipes from Graham's book.A damn good beer that I have brewed many times and its getting that time of the year that another one is due .
That's promising. This probably deserves a different thread but how dark does it come out? It seems like just pale and crystal wouldn't be dark enough. I suppose they might darken with caramel but I was considering using Simpson's dark crystal for a bit more colour.

MrN
Steady Drinker

Post by MrN » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:06 pm

Update for anyone who was interested: Got a reply from the brewery saying they're unable to divulge what goes into their beer :(. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:22 pm

Id bet your message got thru to sales/marketing staff and not the brewers..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

MrN
Steady Drinker

Post by MrN » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Email was from someone called Simon Massey.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:12 pm

MrN wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:49 pm
FUBAR wrote: Yes,one of my favourite recipes from Graham's book.A damn good beer that I have brewed many times and its getting that time of the year that another one is due .
That's promising. This probably deserves a different thread but how dark does it come out? It seems like just pale and crystal wouldn't be dark enough. I suppose they might darken with caramel but I was considering using Simpson's dark crystal for a bit more colour.
Read the recipe. There's nearly 20% crystal malt in it.

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

MrN
Steady Drinker

Post by MrN » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:54 pm

I have read the recipe, I believe it's about 15% crystal. I seem to remember the beer is quite dark so I was interested how it'd come out for someone who's brewed the recipe.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:29 am

I have read the recipe, I believe it's about 15% crystal. I seem to remember the beer is quite dark so I was interested how it'd come out for someone who's brewed the recipe.

[/quote]

EBC 47

Alone we travel faster

Piscator

Post by Piscator » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:14 pm

The Head Brewer at McMullens is a nice chap called Chris Evans and is home brewer friendly providing me with some information and tips on a couple of occasions when I was working up a couple of clone brews.

Cheers
Steve