When to add sugar

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
OCurrans
Sober

When to add sugar

Post by OCurrans » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:47 pm

I have been a long time lurker on this forum, and have gotten a lot of good information and recipes, from here, that have turned out well. I like my beers sessionable, so, I like to make Milds and Bitters. I have made many Milds that have turned out wonderfully, and my Bitters do not last long either. They have all been AG recipes, but, I am wanting to try some of the more traditional recipes in the Graham Wheeler book.
I have never used sugar in any recipe, and do not know if I should add it to the beginning, middle, or end of the boil.
For now, I plan to use white sugar, as GW suggests, and possibly try to source invert sugar, in the future.
Thanks,
Howard
Florida, USA

McMullan

Re: When to add sugar

Post by McMullan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:56 pm

Mine goes in last 10-15 min of the boil. The easiest way, to prevent any scorching on heating element or base of the kettle, is weighing out the sugar into a muslin/hop bag then suspend it just below the wort level.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:12 pm

Or you can draw off some hot wort and dissolve your sugar in that before pouring the element-safe wort back into the boil

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:54 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:Or you can draw off some hot wort and dissolve your sugar in that before pouring the element-safe wort back into the boil
That's what I do at the last 10 mins of the boil. You get better hop utilisation that way.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:13 pm

what they all said. last ten just to sanitise it. melting it in some of the wort is easiest for me. the only thing i'd add is that invert sugar is not difficult to make if you have the patience to stand over a pot for a coupla hours (homebrew helps with this.. ). i've used proper invert no3 sugar, and made a dark invert syrup and the flavours were just right.
dazzled, doused in gin..

OCurrans
Sober

Post by OCurrans » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:01 am

Thanks guys!
The last 10 minutes it is - dissolved in some hot wort. I was wondering about hop utilization, but, AlexLark answered that.
Thanks again,
Howard
Florida, USA

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:40 am

6 years ago, on this very site, this thread had a very similar discussion with an interesting alternative to standing over a stove for a long time. Not much new under the Sun. :lol:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:01 am

oh yeah i do actually recall reading graham's comment a while back when researching invert. not bothered about colour but might have to get some and see how the flavour compares.
dazzled, doused in gin..