Yeast Advice

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
monkeymullins
Steady Drinker
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:58 pm

Yeast Advice

Post by monkeymullins » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi all bit of advice needed I have recipe which states OG 1101 & FG 1025

However Beersmith gives me OG 1085 & FG 1014

My question being the recipe calls for one pack of WLP013 is this going to be enough? I won't be able to do a starter so that's out of the question.

Thanks all for your advice in advance


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
IPA
Under the Table
Posts: 1066
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:29 am
Location: France Gascony

Re: Yeast Advice

Post by IPA » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:05 pm

1 Why can't you make a starter?
2 No matter what Beersmith, or any other programme, says the initial gravity will depend on your mash efficiency.
3 The final gravity will almost certainly vary because the given values are a calculated guess.

Best plan is to make a starter because it is really simple and see how your gravities pan out.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

User avatar
HTH1975
Steady Drinker
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:24 pm
Location: Thirsk, North Yorks (ex-pat Geordie)

Re: Yeast Advice

Post by HTH1975 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Remember that your efficiency will drop with such a high gravity wort. If I was brewing something this potent, I'd calculate the grist based on 70% efficiency.

You will most certainly want a starter, or at the very least two packs of yeast. I'd pitch a couple of litres of wort into your yeast for an hour or two before pitching into your main brew - just gets the yeast working.

Also make sure you chose a yeast that is tolerant to high ABV too, else you'll end up with a high FG and stalled fermentation.

McMullan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 674
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm
Location: Here

Re: Yeast Advice

Post by McMullan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:49 am

If a big stepped-up starter is out of the question, you'll have to pitch several packs of WLP013 and cross your fingers viability is high enough. It's a bit risky, IMO. You're better off using dry yeast, even if it means compromising the quality of the end product.

McMullan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 674
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm
Location: Here

Re: Yeast Advice

Post by McMullan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:59 am

HTH1975 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:16 pm
I'd pitch a couple of litres of wort into your yeast for an hour or two before pitching into your main brew - just gets the yeast working.
How does that get yeast that don't exist working?

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:04 pm
Location: Just outside Scarbados

Re: Yeast Advice

Post by MTW » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:38 am

Depends on your batch size. No one's asked what your batch size is!

I'd second the question of why you can't do a starter, though; is it a time frame issue?
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

McMullan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 674
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm
Location: Here

Re: Yeast Advice

Post by McMullan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:45 am

The standard batch size is 5 gallons/23L, unless otherwise stated.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:04 pm
Location: Just outside Scarbados

Re: Yeast Advice

Post by MTW » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:43 pm

McMullan wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:45 am
The standard batch size is 5 gallons/23L, unless otherwise stated.
Best to check; it's a pretty important question! If someone's potentially asking whether it's OK to stick an un-started single vial of WLP into 23L (or even 18.9L if it's a US recipe) of 1.100+, then even more reason... if only for them to double check the recipe!
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

User avatar
jonnymorris
Tippler
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:42 pm

Re: Yeast Advice

Post by jonnymorris » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:13 pm

Depends on the date of the yeast too though, as others have said, for such a big beer you're going to need more than one vial of yeast even if it was made today.

p.s. Beersmith calculates how much yeast to use on the 'Starter' tab.



McMullan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 674
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm
Location: Here

Re: Yeast Advice

Post by McMullan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:20 pm

MTW wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:43 pm
McMullan wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:45 am
The standard batch size is 5 gallons/23L, unless otherwise stated.
Best to check; it's a pretty important question! If someone's potentially asking whether it's OK to stick an un-started single vial of WLP into 23L (or even 18.9L if it's a US recipe) of 1.100+, then even more reason... if only for them to double check the recipe!
One fresh pack of WLP013 pitched directly into a 1.100 wort might struggle beyond a batch about 5L. WTF would anyone spend time and effort brewing 5L? It would be considerably cheaper to buy some quality big beers of the same volume :roll:

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:04 pm
Location: Just outside Scarbados

Re: Yeast Advice

Post by MTW » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:01 pm

McMullan wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:20 pm
MTW wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:43 pm
McMullan wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:45 am
The standard batch size is 5 gallons/23L, unless otherwise stated.
Best to check; it's a pretty important question! If someone's potentially asking whether it's OK to stick an un-started single vial of WLP into 23L (or even 18.9L if it's a US recipe) of 1.100+, then even more reason... if only for them to double check the recipe!
One fresh pack of WLP013 pitched directly into a 1.100 wort might struggle beyond a batch about 5L. WTF would anyone spend time and effort brewing 5L? It would be considerably cheaper to buy some quality big beers of the same volume :roll:
Ah, come on. It's standard practice to establish the batch size when discussing starters, pitch rates etc. It's normally the first question in the replies if it's not there. If it is a seriously reduced batch size, which can be the case on very high gravity brews, then it definitely affects the advice as to what is likely to be viable, if not ideal.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

McMullan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 674
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm
Location: Here

Re: Yeast Advice

Post by McMullan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 pm

MTW wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:01 pm
McMullan wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:20 pm
MTW wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:43 pm


Best to check; it's a pretty important question! If someone's potentially asking whether it's OK to stick an un-started single vial of WLP into 23L (or even 18.9L if it's a US recipe) of 1.100+, then even more reason... if only for them to double check the recipe!
One fresh pack of WLP013 pitched directly into a 1.100 wort might struggle beyond a batch about 5L. WTF would anyone spend time and effort brewing 5L? It would be considerably cheaper to buy some quality big beers of the same volume :roll:
Ah, come on. It's standard practice to establish the batch size when discussing starters, pitch rates etc. It's normally the first question in the replies if it's not there. If it is a seriously reduced batch size, which can be the case on very high gravity brews, then it definitely affects the advice as to what is likely to be viable, if not ideal.
Your argument is pedantic. Again, most things in home brew assume a standard batch size, unless it's stated otherwise :lol:

McMullan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 674
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm
Location: Here

Re: Yeast Advice

Post by McMullan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:28 pm

What was your brew length, monkeymullins?

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:04 pm
Location: Just outside Scarbados

Re: Yeast Advice

Post by MTW » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:20 pm

McMullan wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 pm
MTW wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:01 pm
McMullan wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:20 pm


One fresh pack of WLP013 pitched directly into a 1.100 wort might struggle beyond a batch about 5L. WTF would anyone spend time and effort brewing 5L? It would be considerably cheaper to buy some quality big beers of the same volume :roll:
Ah, come on. It's standard practice to establish the batch size when discussing starters, pitch rates etc. It's normally the first question in the replies if it's not there. If it is a seriously reduced batch size, which can be the case on very high gravity brews, then it definitely affects the advice as to what is likely to be viable, if not ideal.
Your argument is pedantic. Again, most things in home brew assume a standard batch size, unless it's stated otherwise :lol:
That's not very friendly, but the new rule is received loud and clear: I must assume it's always a 23L brew, and that there's no need to check, even when the whole question is about yeast and pitching rate!
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

McMullan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 674
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 pm
Location: Here

Re: Yeast Advice

Post by McMullan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:35 pm

About 5 million viable cells per ml wort, for a standard ale. A shedload more for an 1.100 ale. Most Brewers, professional or not, determine that empirically. Pitching rate is far from an exact 'science', even with a microscope. So, you're point is what? That I'm 'not friendly'? FFS!

Post Reply

Return to “Grain Brewing Questions and Answers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest