Yeast Advice

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
monkeymullins
Steady Drinker

Yeast Advice

Post by monkeymullins » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi all bit of advice needed I have recipe which states OG 1101 & FG 1025

However Beersmith gives me OG 1085 & FG 1014

My question being the recipe calls for one pack of WLP013 is this going to be enough? I won't be able to do a starter so that's out of the question.

Thanks all for your advice in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Yeast Advice

Post by IPA » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:05 pm

1 Why can't you make a starter?
2 No matter what Beersmith, or any other programme, says the initial gravity will depend on your mash efficiency.
3 The final gravity will almost certainly vary because the given values are a calculated guess.

Best plan is to make a starter because it is really simple and see how your gravities pan out.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Remember that your efficiency will drop with such a high gravity wort. If I was brewing something this potent, I'd calculate the grist based on 70% efficiency.

You will most certainly want a starter, or at the very least two packs of yeast. I'd pitch a couple of litres of wort into your yeast for an hour or two before pitching into your main brew - just gets the yeast working.

Also make sure you chose a yeast that is tolerant to high ABV too, else you'll end up with a high FG and stalled fermentation.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:49 am

If a big stepped-up starter is out of the question, you'll have to pitch several packs of WLP013 and cross your fingers viability is high enough. It's a bit risky, IMO. You're better off using dry yeast, even if it means compromising the quality of the end product.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:59 am

HTH1975 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:16 pm
I'd pitch a couple of litres of wort into your yeast for an hour or two before pitching into your main brew - just gets the yeast working.
How does that get yeast that don't exist working?

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:38 am

Depends on your batch size. No one's asked what your batch size is!

I'd second the question of why you can't do a starter, though; is it a time frame issue?
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:45 am

The standard batch size is 5 gallons/23L, unless otherwise stated.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:43 pm

McMullan wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:45 am
Best to check; it's a pretty important question! If someone's potentially asking whether it's OK to stick an un-started single vial of WLP into 23L (or even 18.9L if it's a US recipe) of 1.100+, then even more reason... if only for them to double check the recipe!

jonnymorris
Tippler

Post by jonnymorris » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:13 pm

Depends on the date of the yeast too though, as others have said, for such a big beer you're going to need more than one vial of yeast even if it was made today.

p.s. Beersmith calculates how much yeast to use on the 'Starter' tab.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:20 pm

MTW wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:43 pm
McMullan wrote:
Best to check; it's a pretty important question! If someone's potentially asking whether it's OK to stick an un-started single vial of WLP into 23L (or even 18.9L if it's a US recipe) of 1.100+, then even more reason... if only for them to double check the recipe!
One fresh pack of WLP013 pitched directly into a 1.100 wort might struggle beyond a batch about 5L. WTF would anyone spend time and effort brewing 5L? It would be considerably cheaper to buy some quality big beers of the same volume :roll:

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:01 pm

McMullan wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:20 pm
MTW wrote:
McMullan wrote:
One fresh pack of WLP013 pitched directly into a 1.100 wort might struggle beyond a batch about 5L. WTF would anyone spend time and effort brewing 5L? It would be considerably cheaper to buy some quality big beers of the same volume :roll:
Ah, come on. It's standard practice to establish the batch size when discussing starters, pitch rates etc. It's normally the first question in the replies if it's not there. If it is a seriously reduced batch size, which can be the case on very high gravity brews, then it definitely affects the advice as to what is likely to be viable, if not ideal.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 pm

MTW wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:01 pm
McMullan wrote:
MTW wrote:

Ah, come on. It's standard practice to establish the batch size when discussing starters, pitch rates etc. It's normally the first question in the replies if it's not there. If it is a seriously reduced batch size, which can be the case on very high gravity brews, then it definitely affects the advice as to what is likely to be viable, if not ideal.
Your argument is pedantic. Again, most things in home brew assume a standard batch size, unless it's stated otherwise :lol:

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:28 pm

What was your brew length, monkeymullins?

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:20 pm

McMullan wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 pm
MTW wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:01 pm
McMullan wrote:

Your argument is pedantic. Again, most things in home brew assume a standard batch size, unless it's stated otherwise :lol:
That's not very friendly, but the new rule is received loud and clear: I must assume it's always a 23L brew, and that there's no need to check, even when the whole question is about yeast and pitching rate!

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:35 pm

About 5 million viable cells per ml wort, for a standard ale. A shedload more for an 1.100 ale. Most Brewers, professional or not, determine that empirically. Pitching rate is far from an exact 'science', even with a microscope. So, you're point is what? That I'm 'not friendly'? FFS!